cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steveo
Level 3

Full-Installation Upgrade Problems

I am about at the end of my wits trying to create a single, full-installation that also allows me to upgrade! I'm looking for some advice please....

I have a project that successfully builds an installer. I've also created an entry in the Upgrade Paths view. This entry contains the Upgrade GUID utilized by this project.

Here is what is happening:

1. Assign a Product Version value of 9.00.0001
2. Build the installer
3. Run the installer on my system
4. Update the Product Version value to 9.00.0002
5. Build the installer
6. Run the new installer on my system and Windows complains, telling me I have to remove the old version first.

As I indicated earlier, I have created an entry in the Upgrade Paths view containing:

1. Upgrade GUID for this installer
2. Min Version = 9.00.0000
3. Include Min Version = Yes
4. Max Version 9.99.9999
5. Include Max Version = Yes
6. Language Identifiers = blank
7. Language Search Criteria = Exclude
8. Ignore Remove Failure = No
9. Migrate Feature States = No

What am I missing here? Why does Windows complain and not let the installation move forward?

Thanks in advance!!!

Steve
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
GrantK
Level 7

Hi Steve,

What type of upgrade are your creating? Major, Minor, or Small?
Each upgrade needs to have more then the product version changed.The package code always needs to be change for each type of upgrade.

The following article at the bottome has a chart of the codes that need to be changed.
http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/doc/Helpnet/InstallShield2011/MajorMinorSmall.htm

Windows installer is looking at the Package code and saying "hey, this is already installed"

Kind Regards,

Grant
0 Kudos
steveo
Level 3

Grant,

Thanks for the reply. I upgraded InstallShield and got this working exactly as I was hoping.

Best,

Steve
0 Kudos
Klixx69
Level 2

I'm having the exact same issue with small/minor upgrades.
Keeps telling me to remove the previous version and thats not what I want it to do, either just auto remove the previous version or overwrite it.

I think it is a generel issue with the Express version and I don't wanto pay extra for an upgrade - I paid enough already for the express version.

@Steve what version did you upgrade to?

Thanks,

Klix
0 Kudos
steveo
Level 3

Klixx69 wrote:
I'm having the exact same issue with small/minor upgrades.
I think it is a generel issue with the Express version and I don't wanto pay extra for an upgrade - I paid enough already for the express version.

@Steve what version did you upgrade to?

Klixx,

I could never get this to work with Express, and there were really no responses about how to get Express to work, other than upgrade to Professional.

So, that is what I did. Using Professional I am able to do exactly what I wanted. Spent more money than I really cared to, but the goal was to have a single installer that would work as a "new" installation, or as an "upgrade" installation. Basically, I now have a fool-proof installer, that anyone can use, and I don't have to worry about them screwing something up (like deleting the database). In my mind, worth the extra cost.

Best,

Steve
0 Kudos
jlynch11
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Klixx, if the install built with express is saying you must remove the previous version, it may be that you didn't change the product code on your upgrade.

An upgrade in the express version should function as a major upgrade - It should remove the previous version and lay down the new version. It should work this way if the following are true:

- The upgrade code must the same between the two versions
- The product code must be different
- The product version must be different
- The package code must be different ( InstallShield does this by default so it shouldn't be a factor)
- An upgrade path should be added in the upgrade paths view

I hope this helps!
0 Kudos