cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Force Reboot in InstallScript MSI project

We have a InstallScript MSI project.
For a specific functionality of our software it's necessary to add a windows feature on Server 2008 R2 / Server 2012 (Feature DesktopExperience). This feature needs a reboot after getting installed.

I'm activating this feature with pkgmgr.exe /quite... in order that the computer will not reboot immediately. Instead of that, the installation should be finished and the user is asked for a reboot.

For this I have set the InstallScript variable BATCH_INSTALL to „true“ and the SdFinishReboot dialog is shown as expected. But when I select "Yes, reboot now" the installation is finished, but the server doesn't reboot as he should.

I have checked the result of call System(SYS_BOOTMACHINE). The return value is 6 (what means WILL_REBOOT), but there is no reboot at all.

Is this perhaps a permission issue on Server OS?
Nevertheless as soon as I start the setup with the property "REBOOT=force" a standard reboot dialog is shown and the machine reboots as expected.

How can I force a reboot on user selection with InstallScript project on Server 2008?

Thanks for your help.
Thomas
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
jlynch11
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

In an installscript MSI project you could add a ForceReboot Standard Action in the custom actions and sequences view (right click appropriate sequence->insert->standard actions).
0 Kudos

ok thanks, I found it, but in which sequence should I insert it?

I want to make a restart only in UI-Mode (not in silent mode - because it should be triggered on a server). So I think the UI sequence is a good place But the action was never called.
After (or before) which action should ForceReboot inserted and what is the condition for it? The reboot should be performed only if the user select it on the FinishReboot-Dialog.
0 Kudos