cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IanBrooke
Level 5

Files not uninstalling

I'm having problems uninstalling.
During the install I create a desktop shortcut and a shortcut on the Start Menu both pointing to the only exe which I install in the application folder (plus other files and folders). Neither of the 2 shortcuts or the exe is being uninstalled although other files and folder are correctly removed.

The exe is not marked as permanent and I have no idea why these are not removed - does anybody have any suggestions??

Many thanks
Ian
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
restrain64
Level 3

Do you get a reboot message when you uninstall your application?
0 Kudos
IanBrooke
Level 5

restrain64 wrote:
Do you get a reboot message when you uninstall your application?

No there is no such message appearing.

I have done a restart but the two shortcuts and the .exe are still sitting there. I've also noticed that the .hlp helpfile has not been removed either.
0 Kudos
dasmyth
Level 3

Are they marked as shared?
0 Kudos
IanBrooke
Level 5

dasmyth wrote:
Are they marked as shared?

afaik there's no way to mark a shortcut as shared. The exe and the hlp however are not marked as shared or permanent.
0 Kudos
IanBrooke
Level 5

Ok folks, I finally got this figured out. 😮

In case anyone else makes this dumb mistake, here's what was causing it......

When I was creating the setup I accidentally (carelessly) created the Start Menu shortcut in the wrong place - instead of putting it below All Programs I clicked on Startup and put it below there! I'm assuming that caused the program to be permanently in use and so the shortcuts etc could not be removed.

I do wish some sort of warning was put out by the uninstaller saying that it was unable to remove things and why. An uninstall log containing this info would be REALLY useful
0 Kudos