cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mshijat
Level 3

Files not getting Deleted after uninstall

I am having an InstallShield basic msi project for my product, during uninstallation my product folders are not getting deleted from the machine.

Do I need to separately handle the uninstallation logic?

If any one know how to delete all the files from the installed machine during uninstallation of the product.

Regards,
Shijat.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
MSIYER
Level 8

Firstly:
What type of files are they?(versioned, unversioned etc...)

Secondly:
Check the uninstall log for the reason for the files not getting deleted.

There is no reason for a developer to handle the removal of files during uninstall. This is the installer's job.

Go through the log thoroughly first.
0 Kudos
rrinblue22
Level 9

Is that you just have empty folders after uninstall?

Just check on a clean system or set all the component Shared = No if you are not explicitly setting it to Yes.....

worth a try before you decide to delete them using a custom action.....
0 Kudos
zoulhom
Level 3

😉 You can use the RemoveFile table directly in installshield.
This table is foreseen to this goal.

😉
0 Kudos
mshijat
Level 3

I am having most of the application files undeleted. The files are unversioned and the log is not showing any errors regarding this.

Regards,
Shijat.
0 Kudos
mshijat
Level 3

can u please mention how to use RemoveFile table, as I am new to InstallShield i dont have any idea about the internal tables that Install Shield is using.
0 Kudos
TsungH
Level 12

If you have not, please refer to RemoveFile Table under Microsoft Windows Installer.
0 Kudos
mshijat
Level 3

thanks for the suggestion
0 Kudos
lucask
Level 3

If permissions on this folders are more than "read/execute" and some files are created for eg. during first start of application, the folder will not be deleted.

I always create a custom action to do delete it 🙂 it loks something like: cmd /c rmdir /q /s "[INSTALLDIR]"

Regards.
0 Kudos
mshijat
Level 3

can u give in detail about that custom action and when the custom action gets executed.

Thanks,
Shijat.
0 Kudos