cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hkjang
Level 4

Feature with modified condition not installing during minor upgrade

I have a feature that wasn't allowed to install on 2008 R2 x64 in our previous version.
We now allow the feature to be installed on 2008 R2 x64 by removing the feature conditions.
This feature has couple of new components.
But, since the feature wasn't installed in previous version, minor upgrading doesn't install the feature.
So, I've added a custom action to set property ADDLOCAL to "FeatureName" after LaunchCondition in Execute Sequence and its condition is "Installed".
The problem is, when during a UI install using "msiexec /i mysetup.msi REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL", the new feature gets installed.
But, if I do a silent installation using "msiexec /i mysetup.msi /qn REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL" the new feature doesn't get installed.
My issue is that I cannot specify any other parameters in the command line.
I have to make it happen in my setup.
If this is not the right way to do it, is there any other way that I can do to install this feature for both UI and Silent minor upgrade?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

Try sequencing the custom action in the execute sequence table as well. To skip in the execute sequence if the UI sequence has run, set the Exectution Scheduling setting to 'Execute only once'.

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos
hkjang
Level 4

Thanks for you reply, hidenori.
I did put the CA in Execute Sequence, but it's not working...
0 Kudos
rrinblue22
Level 9

I think you should be using REINSTALL=ExistingFeature1,ExistingFeature2 and ADDLOCAL=NewFeature........

cos REINSTALL=ALL doesn't let the other to set...............
0 Kudos
hkjang
Level 4

Thanks for your reply, rrinblue22.
Yes, I understand minor upgrade works if I specify all the existing features for REINSTALL.
But, unfortunately, that's not an option for me.
First, we have many features, so it'll be an issue for user to list all the features that had installed in the previous version.
Second, we deploy our setup to many virtual machines at once (there may be hundreds of them). Those virtual machines may have different features installed. so it's critical for me to keep the command line "msiexec /i REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL /qn"
So the bottom line is, is there a way to keep that standard upgrade command line and modify the install so that minor upgrade works and force the modified feature to install?
One more thing. Major upgrade is not an option for me, either.
0 Kudos