cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shoogun
Level 3

Feature request state is null when running upgrade installer

I have Feature A and B with condition A and B defined in a Basic MSI project. When run the installer first time and condition A is true but B is false, then feature A is installed.
After several days, the condition B is became true( which depend on a registry entry). I updated the installer and run it , but Feature B is not installed. The feature state of B is:

Feature: Feature B; Installed: Absent; Request: Null; Action: Null
In the log, MigrateFeatureStates: based on existing product, setting feature 'Feature B' to 'Absent' state.

To install Feature B, I have to uninstall the product and install again. How can I install Feature B without uninstallation? Thanks for any help.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
banna_k
Revenera
Revenera

Hi @shoogun ,

Let us know what kind of upgrade you are created, is it Major or Minor ?

0 Kudos

It is not a major upgrade. The product version is not change. I just rebuild the install project and install again. But the condition for Feature B is meet now, so I hope Feature B can be installed.
0 Kudos
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi @shoogun ,

The acutal meaning of msi log of the line "Feature: Feature B; Installed: Absent; Request: Null; Action: Null"

Request: Null No request.
Action: Null No action taken.
Installed: Absent Component or feature is not currently installed.

As well by default  windows installer minor upgrade works in this way that if it is already installed feature only it will try to validate else it will be considered as absent.

But you can try below to check whether it works:

• REINSTALLMODE can be of  "omus" by default, but I guess "emus" is also ok (Reinstall if the file is missing, or is an equal or older version).

Hope it helps,

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Thanks for the detail explanation.  I tried to add REINSTALLMODE to the Property Manager and edit the value to emus. But the Feature B is still not installed. I have to uninstall and install again.

0 Kudos

Hi @shoogun ,

"It is not a major upgrade. The product version is not change. I just rebuild the install project and install again"

If there is no change in product version it doesn't belong to neither minor upgrade nor major.Can you do MSI difference between both the msi files that you got as outcome of rebuilding as well the base msi?

REINSTALLMODE  might not work for non-upgrade cases.

Did you try adding files or any other settings before rebuilding the project?MSI diff tool of Installshield can help you find what had been added in the rebuilt msi.

MigrateFeatureStates tells that it is upgrade scenario.Please read the below Microsoft link to get more about MigrateFeatureStates:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/msi/migratefeaturestates-action

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Hi Jenifer,

I change the product version from 2.6.0.1 to 2.7.0.1 and add the property REINSTALLMODE with value "emus".  The feature B is not installed when I install 2.6.0.1 because its condition is not meet (The condition is check a registry entry).  Then I add the registry entry and run the minor upgrade installer (2.7.0.1), but I found the Feature B is still not installed. The state of Feature B is Request: Null.  If I uninstall and install  2.7.0.1 again, the feature B is installed correctly. Is it possible let Feature B installed without uninstallation in this scenario? Thanks.

0 Kudos

Hi

Is this issue solved?

i am faced with same scenario and it will be very helpful to know how you deal with it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos