cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samuli
Level 2

Error searching for dynamic files from a network drive

I have mapped a network file in Windows and need dynamic file linking from the drive. I have added the dynamic linking to my Basic MSI Project, but get the following error:
ISDEV : error -6102: Error searching for dynamic files matching "Z:\manufacturing\client documents\electronic documentation\*.*"

If I change the path to a folder on the local machine, there are no errors.

The specified folder does exist and I am able to open the folder by copying the path to Windows explorer. I am using InstallShield 2014 Professional on Windows 7 Professional. Dynamically linking the exact same folder from the network drive did work with InstallShield 2011 Professional on Windows XP.

Any ideas what the problem could be and how to fix it?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Evan_Border
Level 8

Samuli wrote:
I have mapped a network file in Windows and need dynamic file linking from the drive. I have added the dynamic linking to my Basic MSI Project, but get the following error:
If I change the path to a folder on the local machine, there are no errors.

The specified folder does exist and I am able to open the folder by copying the path to Windows explorer. I am using InstallShield 2014 Professional on Windows 7 Professional. Dynamically linking the exact same folder from the network drive did work with InstallShield 2011 Professional on Windows XP.

Any ideas what the problem could be and how to fix it?

It may be a UAC token issue. It could be that the elevated InstallShield product does not see your mapped Z: drive. You can test this by launching InstallShield without elevation, which should allow it to see the mapped Z: drive.

Or you can use a UNC path instead of a mapped drive (the elevated InstallShield editor should be able to see the UNC path).

In order to launch InstallShield without elevation, you can use the __compat_layerrunasinvoker variable in Windows. An easy way to do that is by adding a right-click menu item to Windows Explorer which can then be used to launch any executable without elevation. The following registry will add a right-click explorer menu item that does it:

[CODE]Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\forcerunasinvoker]
@="Run without admin rights (UAC)"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\forcerunasinvoker\command]
@="cmd /min /C \"set __COMPAT_LAYER=RUNASINVOKER && start \"\" \"%1\"\""
[/CODE]

Copy the above registry text and save it as a .reg file and then run it on your system. Then go into the InstallShield System folder and right-click on isdev.exe and choose "Run without admin rights (UAC)"

There are a few things that won't work in InstallShield when you run without admin rights, but not many. Off the top of my head, the only one I think I've seen that's occasionally been annoying is the inability to perform downloads on the Redistributables view. I'm sure there's others, but I haven't encountered them.

Update: I just saw a kb article that confirms it's the UAC token issue preventing InstallShield from seeing your mapped drive. It recommends a registry tweak that allows it to see mapped drives.
h t t p s ://flexeracommunity.force.com/customer/articles/en_US/PROBLEM/Installshield-Unable-to-see-Network-Drives
https://flexeracommunity.force.com/customer/articles/en_US/PROBLEM/Installshield-Unable-to-see-Network-Drives
h t t p s ://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee844140(v=ws.10).aspx
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee844140(v=ws.10).aspx

For better security, I'd still recommend running without elevation.
0 Kudos
Samuli
Level 2

Thanks a lot! I did the registry tweak instructed in the kb article in order to avoid further problems, and that fixed the problem.
0 Kudos