cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LanceRas
Level 7

Error Reading Setup Initialization File with SP1

This may be related to the SP1 fix done with the stub installer with Ansi/Unicode.

I get the "Error Reading Setup Initialization File" error when launching a compressed EXE install. The install works perfectly when built under IS2008. Under 2009 as an ANSI or UNICODE single file EXE I get the error

I've not been able to duplicate in house, but ironically this error occurs on my personal machine, which is Vista Ultimate 32 bit. NOD32 AntiV Ver 3.

Things I've checked for:
Cached downloads folder. Cleared them out.
Uninstalled all our company apps to make sure there wasn't some sort of conflict. (Initially I was trying to run installer to do a minor update).
Rebooted machine
Installed Windows Installer 4.5 (my builds are 3.1/2.0 Best Fit w/o including Windows Installer prereqs)

Taking a cue from a previous posting, I ran the installer with the command line /DEBUG , which gave me the error, but then continued on and functioned as expected.

Suggestions? I haven't opened up a trouble ticket yet, figuring I'd start here.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(33) Replies
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

We can look at the built package (instead of trying to build it).

If you have a smaller sample, that repro's the issue, that would be great too.
0 Kudos
LanceRas
Level 7

This is the installer.
0 Kudos
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

OK I got it. If you need to kill the link you can. I will test it in the morning.

I pulled the link from the post above.

Thanks,
Mike
0 Kudos
LanceRas
Level 7

Thanks Mike. If you need the project or anything else, email me directly or call.
0 Kudos
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Send me your conact info to:

mmarino@acresso.com

I have tried the setup on

2 Vista SP1 Utimates.
1 Vista Ultimate.
1 64bit 2008 Server.

All have extracted correctly so I am a bit confused.

Do you see the error right when you run the setup?
0 Kudos
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

I have found a potential cause for this problem. Can you send me an email address I can send a file for you to test with?
0 Kudos
LanceRas
Level 7

As a follow up....

After applying the hotfix tests provided by Mike, this issue on both Vista machines has been resolved and can be considered closed.

Thanks again for the assistance!

Lance
0 Kudos
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Here are the hotfixed files...

Place these files in the folder..

C:\program files\InstallShield\2009\redist\Language Independent\i386

And then rebuild your project.
0 Kudos
maforshaw
Level 5

Mike, thanks for fixing this and posting a hotfix. However, how do we (as other users) know if we need this fix? What are the "potential causes"?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

If you are using the unicode version of Setup.exe, to be safe, I would use this new version. We are looking at rolling this out more formally soon.

However I wanted to get this fix into our user's hands as soon as possible, so I posted it here.
0 Kudos
IlkkaV
Level 7

Is this fix now formally available somewhere? I'm having the same error on Vista Enterprise at the moment and deadlines are getting close.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

This fix is included in Service Pack 2 for InstallShield 2009. Here's a link to the KB article that has the download:
http://kb.acresso.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=Q200272
0 Kudos
IlkkaV
Level 7

DebbieL wrote:
This fix is included in Service Pack 2 for InstallShield 2009. Here's a link to the KB article that has the download:
http://kb.acresso.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=Q200272

Thanks. Actually the SP2 issue came to my mind shortly after writing the message when I remembered that the problematic build was created by SAB, for which SP2 was not available by the time my actual InstallShield 2009 installation was updated. I downloaded the SAB SP2 and the installation works properly now.
0 Kudos