cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rasky74
Level 6

Error 1920 when user doesn't have Log on as a service rights.

Error 1920 (Service failed to start) is showing up in my install when a user is an admin but doesn't have Log on as a service rights. After the install completes they can go in and add themselves and the service starts fine. I have read other threads saying this is a bug in the Install NT Services. Workaround/advice appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

I haven't played with this in a long time but when I did it I was able to cheat by creating a GPO object for the OU that contained the computers that granted a network user logon as service right for each machine's LSA.

I also believe it's a bug in the standard action but none the less you have to work around it. Basically you need a CA that will grant the right before calling start service. Or just don't use MSI's installservice pattern and instead use the InstallScript functions.

For the former, checkout:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms676910(VS.85).aspx
0 Kudos
rasky74
Level 6

Thanks Chris. I found this thread as well for those who just want to run a custom action using a microsoft exe .
0 Kudos
msyost
Level 2

Another way I've found to do this is by using the NTRights utility that comes with the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit. Here is the command that you can use:

ntrights.exe -u [SERVICE_USER/GROUP] +r SeServiceLogonRight

It took me a long time to find this answer but hope this helps everyone!
0 Kudos