cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
westhusing
Level 6

Error 1316.A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file

I'm receiving an error when trying to uninstall after an update:

Error 1316.A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file C:\Windows\Installer\[ProductName].msi

This is on Vista x86 SP1.

From some searching I've done, I've tried mulitple things...uninstalling from Add/Remove Programs and then also using the .exe via the Maintenance dialog to remove the product. I have not changed the name of the product in between these updates.

Can anyone offer any assistance with this issue? I'd be happy to give any additional information if someone could assist me. Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
rasky74
Level 6

Does the msi exist at that location before you uninstall?
0 Kudos
Sairen
Level 7

Also, did you rename the MSI at any point? I know that can provoke an error 1316...
0 Kudos
westhusing
Level 6

rasky74 wrote:
Does the msi exist at that location before you uninstall?

No, the MSI is not in that location.

Sairen wrote:
Also, did you rename the MSI at any point? I know that can provoke an error 1316...

Yes, I did at one point, but not between the two MSIs that I am trying to update. The name of MSI in version 1 is the same as the name of the MSI in version 2.
0 Kudos
itismike
Level 3

I'm having a similar error attempting to install JAVA Runtime Environment 1.6.0_13. It has installed successfully on over 60 workstations, but I'm seeing this error on about 10% of my clients:
[CODE]MSI (s) (74:9C) [11:11:28:296]: Product: Java(TM) 6 Update 13 -- Error 1316.A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data\Sun\Java\jre1.6.0_13\jre1.6.0_13-c.msi
Error 1316.A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data\Sun\Java\jre1.6.0_13\jre1.6.0_13-c.msi[/CODE]
Below is my command line:
jre.exe /s ADDLOCAL=ALL MOZILLA=1 IEXPLORER=1 JAVAUPDATE=0 JU=0 AUTOUPDATECHECK=0 /L %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\CCM\Logs\jre1.6.0_13.log

I did indeed rename the installation file, but as you can see it's an .exe, not an .msi. I see many hits on Google for similar errors, but each one seems product-specific. Is anyone aware of a solution for this?
0 Kudos
westhusing
Level 6

itismike wrote:
I'm having a similar error attempting to install JAVA Runtime Environment 1.6.0_13. It has installed successfully on over 60 workstations, but I'm seeing this error on about 10% of my clients:
[CODE]MSI (s) (74:9C) [11:11:28:296]: Product: Java(TM) 6 Update 13 -- Error 1316.A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data\Sun\Java\jre1.6.0_13\jre1.6.0_13-c.msi
Error 1316.A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data\Sun\Java\jre1.6.0_13\jre1.6.0_13-c.msi[/CODE]
Below is my command line:
jre.exe /s ADDLOCAL=ALL MOZILLA=1 IEXPLORER=1 JAVAUPDATE=0 JU=0 AUTOUPDATECHECK=0 /L %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\CCM\Logs\jre1.6.0_13.log

I did indeed rename the installation file, but as you can see it's an .exe, not an .msi. I see many hits on Google for similar errors, but each one seems product-specific. Is anyone aware of a solution for this?

Have you performed an update as well?
0 Kudos
itismike
Level 3

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry I don't understand. Performed an update on what? I'm attempting to upgrade/install the JRE.
0 Kudos
westhusing
Level 6

itismike wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry I don't understand. Performed an update on what? I'm attempting to upgrade/install the JRE.

Right, that's what I meant. You have JRE installed, and you're upgrading that version you already have installed.
0 Kudos
itismike
Level 3

oh sorry - I didn't mean to hijack the thread. Thought it was a more general error. I'll look elsewhere.
-m
0 Kudos
itismike
Level 3

oh ok - yes. The JRE is already installed, but its version is unknown (it hasn't been managed in the past 5 years, so each workstation has a different version)
That's a good question - this might be related to trying to update a specific previous version. I'll see if I can make a correlation.

-mike
0 Kudos