cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GarrettDyer
Level 5

Enabling IIS 6 Management Compatibility

We have some legacy installs that use VB Script to configure the web sites in IIS. Rather than toss them out and incorporate that configuration in the InstallShield project, we're trying to do as little as possible, therefore keeping our risk low in producing a new release for a dying product.

I'm wondering if anyone has run into this in their own development. Enabling the features may be simple (haven't done the research yet), but I'm interested to know if anyone's gone down this road already and how the experience turned out. Obviously I'm very interested in a quick fix, so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
bobmcm461
Level 6

At a previous job, I used VBScript to configure IIS including IIS 6 Management compatibility. I called the Windows scripting host "Cscript.exe" with LaunchAppAndWait and passed the script name in the command line option. This worked well. The only downside was that it was very slow.

I have also setup my options using the ISPro Server configuration options. I had good luck with this also. The first time I did it, I got confused, but after the initial one, it became very easy to work with.

Hope this helps,
Bob McMahan
0 Kudos
GarrettDyer
Level 5

Thanks for the reply Bob.

In my research, I found this site which details what needs to be done to enable IIS 6 Compatibility on Windows Server 2008.

To install IIS 7.0 features for Metabase via ServerManagerCmd.exe, use the following command line:
ServerManagerCmd -install Web-Server
ServerManagerCmd -install Web-Metabase
ServerManagerCmd -install Web-WMI
ServerManagerCmd -install Web-Lgcy-Scripting
ServerManagerCmd -install Web-Lgcy-Mgmt-Console

This should allow my old IIS 6 vbscripts to continue to work, although I've got a bit of testing to work through now.
0 Kudos