cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eallwood
Level 3

Dynamic File Linking - can I take just the files without their subdirectories?

Using IS express and not having the ability to use path variables, I've tried using dynamic file linking to get some specific file from a project folder that might end up changing paths. I have the [INSTALLDIR] dynamically linked to the main folder of the project with the inclusions simply being a list of the filenames I want, which are sorted into several subdirectories.

The issue is that the dynamic file includes all of the many empty subdirectories I don't care about and the files that I've included are all deeply hidden in their folders.

What I'd like is a way to have all the included files in the dynamic file link to be sent to the [INSTALLDIR], ignoring what subdirectory of the linked folder they came from so that it is just a folder of the selected files with no subdirectories. Is something like this possible using just one dynamic file link to the upper folder? Or is there a better way to do this without dynamic file links, keeping in mind I don't have access to path variables in express? Any suggestions appreciated.

Here's an example of what I mean in case it is still unclear:

I have this "Folder A"

Folder A
  | Folder B
  |   | File1.file
  |   | File2.file
  | Folder C
  |   | Folder D
  |   |   | File3.file
  |   |   | File4.file
  |   | Folder E
  |   |   | File5.file

and I have INSTALLDIR linked to Folder A, including only: "File2.file, File4.file"

The end result I need should be

[INSTALLDIR]
  | File2.file
  | File4.file

but what I get right now is

[INSTALLDIR]
  | Folder B
  |   | File2.file
  | Folder C
  |   | Folder D
  |   |   | File4.file
  |   | Folder E

0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi @eallwood ,

I dont think so that option would be available in InstallShield/InstallShield express,below are the steps i tried:

• Launched dynamic file linking  wizard ,unchecked "include subfolders" option
  • Unable see files of subfolders getting added in Files View
  • But when i checked "include subfolders" option,i could see all files/files based on filter on the files view

May be InsallShield checks the option "Include Subfolders",if that is checked only loads the files inside those folders.

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Yes this is what I have tried as well, but it includes all the subdirectory folders in the install directory rather than just the files from them which seems to be the issue, and if "includes subfolders" is unchecked it will only check for files in the top directory which doesn't actually contain any files, just subfolders with the files that I need. As of now I can't seem to find a way to ignore the folders using Dynamic file links, but I'll keep searching for a way or how to do it using something else as this is very important for me to do
0 Kudos