cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimd68
Level 3

Driver install unexpectedly reboots system

Driver install unexpectedly reboots system

Problem: I have two hardware devices installed that use the same driver from a previous installation. They are not in a driver store and are not signed. The new driver inf file has the same name, but the product code is different. In my newer installation, the driver is installed for the first hardware but when I click to continue installing the second, the machine reboots. When it comes up, the second devices' 'Driver Details' show the information for the older driver. I'm not sure why this happens.

It will install correctly on a system that doesn't have the device drivers installed.

Can I uninstall both hardware devices in this fashion?

--JimD
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Holger_G
Level 10

I presume that you use a Basic MSI project type.
So both hardware devices will be installed using a single .inf file and the same .sys driver, correct? Does this problem occur on all operating systems? Have you tried to update both devices manually?

For me it sounds like a driver bug.

You should also take a look at the systems SetupAPI log files:
XP: Windows\setupapi.log
Vista: Windows\INF\setupapi.*.log
0 Kudos
jimd68
Level 3

Acresso was saying it was probably due to a bad uninstaller, I sent them the logfile and the reply was :

Thanks for the log. The problem actually appears to do with the uninstallation of a component that uses the .Net Precompile option:

Info 1721.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action: ISJITCompileActionAtUnInstall, location: , command: /delete

Basically, this action is supposed to use a property value to locate ngen.exe on the system, but it seems as though ngen.exe is not being found. It seems like this probably worked during installation, though. Do you know where ngen.exe originally lived, and whether it exists during the time in which you're uninstalling?

I did check and on the computer that I am uninstalling from ,the file Ngen.exe is located in c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386. However, the .Net framework is not installed on that system. I tried downloading and installing .Net 2.0 to see if my results change, they did not. I checked the new logfile (attached) , but cannot find the 1721 error.

I will keep in mind that it could be the driver too, I'm not sure how to prove that yet.

To answer your questions, my project is an installscript project and I do use the same driver inf and sys files.
Thank you for your reply.

--JimD
0 Kudos