cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Superfreak3
Level 11

Different Theme for Different Releases...

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there is a way to have different dialog images (Themes) for different releases. I'm going to have two releases set up which will be differentiated by feature inclusion based on Release Flags in the same Basic msi project.

I'm wondering if there is a way to have the installs compiled with Product Configuration One graphics and Product Configuration Two graphics.

I see a Path Variable override and was hoping I could leverage that, but it doesn't appear that the themes are referenced through the Path Variables.

Any ideas as to whether this is doable?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Superfreak3
Level 11

I think I actually figured this out.

I created a Path Variable to the Theme Folder for the base release.
In the Binary Table in Direct Editor I changed the paths to the Welcome/Banner images to reference the new variable.
In the Release I then used the Path Variable override on the second release configuration to point to a different theme folder.

After compiling the second release it displayed the desired, different images in the dialog installs!!!
0 Kudos
Jamesbo
Level 5

Hey, that's pretty awesome! thanks for sharing your process that seems like a great way to customize releases!
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

On another slightly related note, I'm wondering if anyone has ever added their own themes. What I did the Support\Themes folder in the InstallShield installation directory was make a copy of a Theme folder and rename to My New Theme, for example. I copied the same .theme file to My New Theme.theme. I changed all the name references in that file and ensured all the other settings matched the other themes.

When I open InstallShield it sees the new theme as it is listed under the Themes node. However, when I select it then check the dialogs in the dialog editor, the graphics are the canned InstallShield Welcome/Banner images.

Has anyone ever gotten this to work.

I don't believe I really need this as I can just create a folder anywhere to store the alternate images. The above described override would then be used. It would be nice however to have new theme to switch to.
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

Retraced my steps and now the new Theme works like the stock themes.
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

On additional, related topic involves setup.gif. This is the image that is displayed for installs wrapped in a Setup.exe, while extracting the .msi package. This is governed by the selected theme used for your main install. What I did, for Release2, for example is to add a Pre and Post build event to copy the Release2 related setup.gif into place, then post build I restore the .gif for the Main release..

Pre - cmd /c copy \setup_Release2.gif to \setup.gif /y
Post - cmd /c copy \setup_Main.gif to \setup.gif /y
0 Kudos