cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sairen
Level 7

Custom dialog, skins, and stupid newbs.

Okay, please folks, I really need your help.

I'm venturing into the InstallScript world for the first time. In February, I went looking for and found (somewhere!) an AskFile custom dialog that I was able to successfully use in my install with a skin and everything. Yay me.

Now I went back and was adding some new features and whatnot, and I must have touched something I shouldn't have. I rebuilt - not having deliberately changed anything about the dialog - and it was completely messed up. I deleted the dialog, then reimported it, and now it at least looks normal, but no matter what I do, I can't get that skin back.

Can anyone please PLEASE help get this stupid n00b back on the road?
Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Sairen
Level 7

Really? I find it hard to believe that no one out there has ever dealt with issues relating to a skin with a custom dialog.

I saw the note at the bottom of the help file, and definitely added the dialog after selecting the skin. It looked good, then something changed. I may have clicked "Edit..." on the dialog. Now it doesn't skin.

Please, someone - any thoughts or ideas.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

As a sanity check, is the custom dialog box the same size as the default dialog boxes? Please see, for example, KB article Q108634...
0 Kudos
Sairen
Level 7

Thanks so much for your reply, Robert. I had seen that KB tip, and tried to verify, but here's where n00bness comes in.

The default dialog does not appear to be, no. The skin I'm using (BlueTC - not a custom skin) produces a dialog that is 372x518, while this dialog is 266x374. I tried to fix this by loading the wrong-sized dialog, changing the size, exporting it under a new name, and importing the new, correctly-sized dialog. It didn't work - it just had a larger unskinned dialog with all the controls in one corner.

There's probably a better way to change dialog attributes - maybe even a way to edit the .isd? - that I don't know about... that might be all it is.
0 Kudos
Sairen
Level 7

Is there any other information I should post that would be helpful to experts of InstallScript installations?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

If you specify no skin for the project, verify the dialog size, then re-set the skin type, does it make any difference? You should be able to resize dialogs as expected in the Dialogs view...
0 Kudos
Sairen
Level 7

Hi, Robert,

I tried a few different things based on your advice...sadly, nothing successful.

No skin.
Verify dialog size. (Dialog is smaller than the skin: 266x374)
Apply skin.
--> No good. Dialog is small and unskinned

No skin.
Delete dialog.
Import large-sized dialog (372x518) that was previously based on the original custom dialog and resized.
Apply skin.
--> Nope. Dialog is large and unskinned.

No skin.
Import original dialog.
Change dimensions.
Apply skin.
--> Nope. Dialog is large and unskinned.

I'm so confused - it just seems like this really shouldn't be that hard! I really appreciate your help and suggestions. Please advise. 🙂
0 Kudos