cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcouture
Level 3

Custom action throughout the installation process

Hi, I wrote an InstallScript function that displays a background screen. I would like to display that screen throughout the installation process. I've tried to put the function in various places in the custom actions sequence, but kept on getting errors. Would somebody please tell me how this is done? Really appreciate your help.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

I believe InstallScript custom actions need to be synchronous, so this might be difficult. What kind of project are you using (Basic MSI or InstallScript MSI)?
0 Kudos
jcouture
Level 3

It is a web project.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

I believe a Web project is just a Basic MSI project with some modifications such as an IISROOTFOLDER directory defined, in which case the restriction about synchronous InstallScript actions applies. (If you project were InstallScript MSI you could easily show a background, but it's almost certainly not worth converting the project for that.) The InstallShield help topic "Enable" mentions this about enabling backgrounds:
To enable window mode, you must call Enable with the BACKGROUND constant, and then again with DEFWINDOWMODE or FULLWINDOWMODE. These constants are not supported for use in Basic MSI setup projects.
Unless you're showing the background window in some other way?
0 Kudos