cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peterbi
Level 7

UAC question

I recently migrated one of our product (InstallScript MSI) from IS 10.5 to IS2009 (Prime).

One of the installation case is called 'workstation', in which we install a server and make a folder (workstation setup) sharable where a setup.exe for workstation is in the folder, then from another system we run the setup.exe in the shared folder to setup workstation.

The problem is that when I ran workstation setup on Vista with the new build (IS2009), I got "You must have local administrative privileges to install xxx. Setup cannot proceed and will exit." error, the previous build (IS 10.5) doesn't have the error. When I tried the two builds I found that when I tried to run the older workstation setup.exe from Vista, the UAC prompted for validation, and the install continued and completed without problme; but for the new build, UAC didn't prompt and the error showed up once install was in 'OnMoving' step.

This may be caseud by migration from IS10.5 to IS2009, but how can I check where or what is wrong, and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Peter
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Check your bootstrapper and package manifest settings. This is probably one of those cases where Windows sees an old version of setup.exe, realizes it needs a little help and assists. It probably realizes your newer setup.exe should have the ability to have it's own manifest and doesn't help.

Just a guess without really looking.
0 Kudos
peterbi
Level 7

Thank you Chris. You are right, it's the bootstrapper's settings. Now I change the "Required Execution Level" in IS 2009 from 'Invoker' to 'Administrator', and UAC is prompting now.

Just curious, where is the equivalent setting in IS10.5 for this one?

Thanks again,
Peter
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

It didn't exist back in 10.5. InstallShield started supporting Vista in 12.0. Windows Vista Application Compatibility team does alot of tricks behind the scenes to try to accomodate this type of problem.
0 Kudos