cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gridman
Level 8

Custom Actions that Meet Vista Requirements

I have a Basic MSI installation and I have a question about an InstallScript custom action I have written that calls MsiSetProperty() to set a property in the property table.

In the IS Help topic, "Guidelines for Creating Custom Actions that Meet Requirements of the Certified for Windows Vista Program", it states that the intended behavior of each custom action must be documented. It then goes on to say that this requirement does not apply to custom action types 51 (those that set a property), among others.

I am wondering if my custom action, described above, would be considered a type 51. I am just interested in semantics here, as it doesn't seem to me like a big deal to have to document the behavior of a custom action.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
charlieantao
Level 6

No. your action will not qualify as type 51. You can see the action type in te custom action view. It has a disabled field "MSI type number" Type 51 is when you choose "New Set Property"
0 Kudos
gridman
Level 8

Thanks, I see what you mean. When you click on the custom action in the Custom Actions and Sequences view, the MSI Type Number property is shown, but it's disabled.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Just to echo charlieantao here, an InstallScript action will not receive the type 51 exception. The exception is given because what a type 51 action does is clear in the MSI database itself: both source value and target property are clear in the CustomAction table. InstallScript actions, on the other hand, are effectively unreadable custom DLL code. Using an MSI log you could find out that it changes a property, but you couldn't easily verify what else it does or doesn't do.
0 Kudos