cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbeukers
Level 3

Custom Actions During Maintenance issues

I have custom actions to run during maintenance, but need to know whether it is installing/repairing or uninstalling. Is there a way to do this?
I would prefer to run an executable, but those apparently can't access install properties. The conditions available to select for launching an executable don't give access to this either (only based on operating system, software, or feature -- only one feature 'Always Install'). Under software there is an option to create a new requirement, but these are only for file path, folder path, or registry entry.
I have heard that scripts can access install properties. Would using a VBS allow me to distinguish the current process? Is there something better than using VBS to access install properties and set an environment variable, then calling my executable, having it read the environment, do its action, then delete the variable?
Upgrading to Express might be an option, but it sounds like it wouldn't help. Upgrading to Professional or Premium is *not* an option.
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
NameTooShort
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

For LE and Express, you will need to have the check for certain properties inside custom actions.
As you mentioned, the built in conditions does not fit what you require.
The article below should help with what you want to check.
http://resources.flexerasoftware.com/web/pdf/archive/IS-CHS-Common-MSI-Conditions.pdf
0 Kudos