cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Superfreak3
Level 11

Create a Virtual Directory in an Existing Web Site...

Hi all,

Several month ago we switched from Wise to InstallShiled. Now its time for me to convert our last, web application installation.

In Wise, there was a dialog to select the Web Site to which you would like to apply/install our application if more than the Default Web Site existed on a target machine. With InstallShield, it seems as though you have to add a Web Site to the Web Sites node of the Internet Information Services view. I don't know how this will work for us since in the past, we did not create a Web Site on target systems only an application.

Is there a way to do this with InstallShield so that we don't have to create a site, but let the user choose to which site they would like the application installed?

If not, I'll check into the ramifications on our end of creating a site first.

Thanks for any information and/or guidance on this one.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Superfreak3
Level 11

Anyone out there doing Web 'stuff' with InstallShield?? :confused:
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

I think I'm going to have to write a dll for a custom action to query the target system for existing web sites (handle both IIS 6 & 7). I would then like to take the return and somehow use it to populate a selection box of some type for user selection.

Once selected, I'll have to modify the appropriate site (that will hold the new virtual directory/application) settings in the running .msi to match the target system. With this I would worry about changing all site settings available in InstallShield to match the selected site on the target machine. I would think these setting would have to be queried as well using the above, proposed dll.

I guess I have my work cut out for me.

I love InstallShield, but Wise handled this situation much better as it related to our setup purposes. 😞
0 Kudos