cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ispro2008
Level 2

Copy folder hierarchy

Hi,

I am using InstallSheild 2008. I want to copy complete folder hierarchy at the time of setup. Folder may has 50 different sub folders and each subfolder may have subfolders and n number of files. Is there any way to copy complete folder ?

Is it possible to make a single seperate "Component" for the complete folder hierarchy? so that i can have a choice to include this component in which ever feature i want it to be in.

Is it ppossible to unzip file at the time of setup?

Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
mberterm
Level 7

While it is possible include a ZIP file and then extract it during the installation, this produces unnecessary dependencies and overhead (finding or including the zip engine, custom actions to perform the extraction, etc.).

Instead, when adding files consider using the Dynamic Link functionality.

There is a caveat however to balance the ease of including an undetermined set of files: in order to leverage the full MSI functionality (patching, minor upgrades, auto-repair), component rules should be strictly followed to avoid seeing what happens when they are broken.

Fortunately, the troubles and inconvenience of breaking these rules was recognized and since InstallShield 2009 a new feature of InstallShield's dynamic file link functionality was added to assure their 'best-practice' nature.
0 Kudos