cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Superfreak3
Level 11

Converting Wise Operations...

Hi all,

In Wise, there were items called operations that could be set in the IDE's Files view. For instance, if the application creates logs that should be deleted on uninstall, you could place a Remove File operation in the appropriate directory and set it to occur on Uninstall.

Is there any capability similar to this in IS '10 or do I just have to create Custom Actions?

Any information appreciated!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Marwan
Level 7

You can use the RemoveFile Table
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

So, if a log is created, let's say myapp.log, I can just make entries in that table and for the component entry I could use maybe the component of the .exe that created the .log.

In other words what would the Remove File table entry look like for the myapp.log that is installed to the same directory as myapp.exe?
0 Kudos
Marwan
Level 7

Exactly. The record in the Direct Editor will look like this:
[HTML]FileKeyName ComponentName myapp.log INSTALLDIR 2[/HTML]
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

They also had Copy and Move operations. Should they just be handled with Custom Actions of some kind (vbScript, fire an .exe to do the job, etc.)?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Actually, you might first look into the MoveFile and DuplicateFile tables (the Windows Installer help has more information) to avoid the need for a custom action.
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

See, I believe there is some major cleanup that is needed in our installs. I just got back to this job after a layoff and the individual, not really knowing any better, added a bunch of various custom actions to get jobs done.

Although the install seems to work as intended, it's cluttered and is becoming a maintenance.

No better time to switch products than when you need a complete rebuild.

Thanks so much for the quick responses. I haven't really gone through this build exercise with the other product we are evaluating, but I'm liking InstallShield all over again!!
0 Kudos