cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roger_hurst
Level 5

Conditional Components

I've built some conditional components, which contain differing versions of the same named DLL, and the appropriate one is installed per the target machine (VISTA or XP).

Our project is installed separately as a component to a larger piece of software, and the DLLs we are installing contain references to other DLLs which are internal to the larger (umbrella) software. There are different versions of the umbrella, if you will, running on VISTA and XP.

When we build our project, I've notice InstallShield wants to go out to the GAC and pick up those referenced DLLs, and include them in our project disk image. So, since I'm building the install on the VISTA machine, but there are DLL components in the project that were generated on XP, InstallShield will save the same-named DLLs in the GAC subfolder (of disk images) from the build machine (which will be the wrong version).

Is there a way to tell IS not to worry about doing resolutions during the build, but to trust that they will be present on the target machine at install time? It may not be a problem if the installer checks if that DLL already present, and skip it if it is.

Would appreciate your comments.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Turn off the Dependencies part of the .NET Scan at Build setting, located on the component. You can set this to Properties Only, or to None, and neither of those options will search out and include other assemblies.
0 Kudos