cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blackpuma
Level 3

Edit box on dialog showing value "0"

We're evaluating IS2010. We created a dialog with a text edit control, but regardless of the contents of the "Edit1" control's "Text" field in the designer, when the installer is run we see the dialog, but the edit box has the value "0".

I thought maybe it was treating the text as an integer, and defaulting to "0", but when we put the value "10" in the edit control's "Text" field (in the designer), we still see "0" when running the installer.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Lurean
Level 8

is there a property associated with the text edit control that is getting set to 0 at some point?

that is the only thing I can think of to check.
0 Kudos
blackpuma
Level 3

That's possible. But, IS being kind of opaque, I can't really say. :confused:

Still looking.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Right, when you created the edit field you should have been prompted for a property name, such as "EDITPROP". By default, InstallShield gave the property the value "0", which is what's showing up at run time.

To change it, open the Property Manager view and find your property, either changing the value to what you want, or deleting it to have the edit field show up empty by default.
0 Kudos
blackpuma
Level 3

I appreciate the answer. 🙂

OK… progress, sort of.

We found the property manager, found that we have in the string editor and property manager identical Identifiers. On the GUI form designer window, for the text control "Property" we can set the property and see the value.

However, in the "Text" field, it brings up the string list.

What we're trying to do is put user input into an XML configuration file. We can copy from the string editor Identifier to the XML configuration file fine, but we now don't see how to associate the Property value and the string editor Identifier that gets put into the XML.

In the XML File Changes window, the [...] buttom selects values from the string editor.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

For the edit field, the Property is the important part: what the user enters is stored in the property value, and you should be able to use [YOUR_PROP_NAME] in the XML change settings, and it'll be expanded into the property's value at run time.
0 Kudos
blackpuma
Level 3

Thanks for the information. 😄

The XML File Changes window "Content:" edit box now has "{USERTEXT1} [MY_USERTEXT1]" and it works.

I don't understand what's up with the string editor Identifiers and the properties yet, but OK... that works.

I used IS years ago, maybe 8 or 9, and I don't remember it being so opaque, but I'm learning.
0 Kudos