cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoderCoder
Level 8

Component getting included with another feature

To simply explain the issue, I have a ParentFeature and a ChildFeature in my MSI project. I have a component which is associated with ChildFeature. When I build the project, in the resulting MSI, the component somehow gets included/associated with the ParentFeature with exactly same name. So if user choses not to install ChildFeature, component in question still gets installed since ParentFeature of the resulting MSI is associated with the component.

Why would that be? How can IS associate this component with the ParentFeature without my explicit intension? Also one intersting thing I found was that the component name was exactly same as in the ChildFeature.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

You could try setting the .NET Scan at Build to Properties Only or None. You would have to do this for the components in the parent feature; chances are they're finding a dependency in the component you wanted only in the child feature. But watch out when you do this - this behavior should indicate the component provides a required dependency.
0 Kudos
JoderCoder
Level 8

Thanks, I will try this and see if this is the reason why it is getting included.

I am not sure if this scan feature of InstallShield is really a good thing or a bad thing. It is including files without me noticing... If there is really a necessary file then I should include it myself explicitly.

Say it finds a dependency on a COM dll.. As far as I can see, InstallShield will chose to self-register the file. Then it is violating the best practice which may result in failure on a client installation. If I dont read the logs or dont investigate the resulting MSI always...
0 Kudos