cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Manuel_K
Level 4

Changing local security settings during install

Hi,

I have to add burning rights to all users during the installation of our software.
I need to set a value, which can be found in the MMC "local security settings".

I don't think I can start the MMC.exe with params, so I think I have to mod some registry values, but I don't know which. Does anyone know, where they are located?

I need to change/add the following value (translated from German by me, dunno if everything is named like that in english):

Local security settings -> Local settings/guidelines -> Security options ->
Add/enable this key: Devices: Access to CD-ROM drives for local logged in users only.

I'm using IS 2010 Premier with a Basic MSI project.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
girishkatti123
Level 7

Because the CD-ROM drive is a volume, by default, it is shared as an administrative share on the network. If the value of this entry is 1, the CD-ROM drive is allocated to the user as part of the interactive logon process and, therefore, only the current user can access it. This prevents administrators and remote users (and even the same user at a different workstation) from accessing the drive while the current user is logged on to the computer. The drive is shared again when the current user logs off the computer.
Value Meanings:
'0' = Compact discs in the CD-ROM drive can be accessed by all administrators in the domain.
'1' = Only the user logged on locally can access data on the compact discs in the CD-ROM drive.

Registry Settings
System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
Value Name: AllocateCDRoms
Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)
Value Data: (0 = enabled, 1 = disabled)
0 Kudos
Manuel_K
Level 4

Thanks, works like a charm! 🙂

Where do you get the info about the registry path? At TechNet I can only find the description about the MMC console.
0 Kudos