cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CWoodman
Level 3

Can't get Upgrade to work

I'm using InstallShield Express 2008.
Trying to make a major upgrade package...
Added previous released exe file in Upgrade Paths, but when I attempt to install the new release, I get a message from Windows Installer saying it can't install because a previous version is already installed and needs to be removed first. This is what I'm trying to avoid for my users! What am I missing??

Crawford Woodman
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
mberterm
Level 7

This message is seen when the Package Code is changed but not the Product Code. (You may have gotten to this point by simply rebuilding your project since the one code is configured to change with each build.)

Change the Product Code in Express in the General Information view.

There is an Upgrade Code too in the General Information view, but this should not be changed.

That code is seen in the Upgrade Paths view.
0 Kudos
CWoodman
Level 3

Thanks for your reply, Mike.
I can now make a major upgrade release that will install over a previous release by changing the Product code each time.

However, the older one is not being uninstalled, so in the Programs and Features control panel, there are multiple entries for my application. I did create an upgrade path by selecting the previous release setup.exe file, and thought this would cause it to be uninstalled. What am I missing?

Crawford
0 Kudos
mberterm
Level 7

Added previous released exe file in Upgrade Paths, but when I attempt to install the new release, I get a message from Windows Installer saying it can't install because a previous version is already installed and needs to be removed first. This is what I'm trying to avoid for my users! What am I missing??

There are 2 locations to verify settings and information:
[LIST=1]
  • The newly added Upgrade Paths entry. (help topic "Upgrade Path Settings")
  • The Product Properties as seen in the General Information view. (help topic "Creating Full-Installation Upgrades")

I can now make a major upgrade release that will install over a previous release by changing the Product code each time.

In the General Information view, you'll want to bump up the Product Version (even ever so slightly) but keep the Upgrade Code the same. (help topic "Updating the Package Code, the Product Version, and the Product Code" -- this has a nice chart to explain the differences)
  • 0 Kudos
    andremrezende
    Level 3

I got the same issue.
    Anyone knows how will I fix it?

Thanks,
    André Rezende
    0 Kudos