cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TroyTaylor
Level 2

Can't configure IIS 8.5

I have created an install package using Installshield 2013 professional for our remote service application. This application uses a combination of some services, a SQL database, and an ASP.NET website so that our clients can monitor the status of their printers via a website. The installation package works fine on Windows 7 which uses IIS 6.1, but, when we attempt to install on Windows Server 2012 R2 which uses IIS 8.5, the installation fails when attempting to configure IIS.

I've tried running the setup package with the /s /fs parameters so that a log file would be created, but I'm not seeing a log file either. If I do a custom install and choose not to install the website (no config changes to IIS), then the installation package runs through and completes.

I've done a pretty good amount of digging, and I haven't found a solution yet. So, any help anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. In the meantime, I'm going to investigate writing a PowerShell script that will handle the IIS configuration during the installation, but I'd rather not go down that road if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
TroyTaylor
Level 2

Well, I answered my own question and found the root of the problem. I inherited this installation script from a previous engineer and have taken a crash course in learning InstallShield over the past few weeks since I was voluntold I was going to become the installation expert.

In any case, when creating the website under the IIS node in InstallShield, there is a setting "Site Number". For whatever reason, this setting was configured as 3. The default is 0 (next node in the IIS configured websites tree). It seems that IIS 6.1 didn't complain about this, but IIS 8.5 didn't like it at all. I set it to 0, and it started working just fine.

Now I can go back to something much more familiar like C++.
0 Kudos