cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Janakiram
Level 4

Can i create VC++ 2017 prerequisite in installshield 2013

Hi All,
I am trying to create VC++ 2017 PRQ file in installshield 2013 for my installer.
Can i do that? Or do i need to move to latest installshield whichever has vc++ 2017?.
When i created prq and run the installer i am getting below issue..

"the files for installation requirement Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable Package (x64) could not be found. The installation will now stop. This is probably due to failed, or canceled download"

Can someone help pls..or aleast direct me where i can get help

Thanks
Janakiram
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(13) Replies
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi Janakiram,

It is possible,you can create.VC++ pre-reqiusite doesn't have any dependency on installshield version.Please verify the web URL you had mentioned,which will be downloaded during run time if it is online URL specific.If it is offline installer setup,make sure you wrap/pack redistributable packages too.

Hope it helps,
Thanks,
Jenifer
0 Kudos
Janakiram
Level 4

Thank you Jenifer for the reply.

Could you please help me with the steps how to do it?
We have vc++ 2017 redistributes already downloaded.

this is the PRQ i have created.

0 Kudos
Christoph
Level 8

Janakiram wrote:
Thank you Jenifer for the reply.

Could you please help me with the steps how to do it?
We have vc++ 2017 redistributes already downloaded.

this is the PRQ i have created.

Your check is wrong. Do not test for the uninstall key. This can return unwanted results.
Microsoft releases sometimes a newer version of their 2017 runtimes and they use a different uninstall key. So you will not detect these.

See this example of mine (Runtime 2015). Installshield does it also like this:

Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi Janakiram,

I have attached pre-requisite files for both x64 & x86 in .txt format.Do rename it to .prq and give it a try

Hope it helps.

Thanks,
Jenifer
0 Kudos
Janakiram
Level 4

Thank you so much Jenifer.
I have used your prq files and i am able to install in 64 bit machine without any issue.
But i see an issue in 32 bit machine. I tried in my local setup which is windows 10 32 bit. A pop up came that vc++2017 install might have failed and continue with other install. I said yes, But it actually installed my installer along with vc++ 2017.

Thy download url you have mentioned is different from the one i need to use. My requirement is to have vc++ redistributables available under https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/ the version of these redistributables is 14.13.26020. How do i get the URL and registry key for this?

0 Kudos
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Janakiram wrote:
Thank you so much Jenifer.
I have used your prq files and i am able to install in 64 bit machine without any issue.
But i see an issue in 32 bit machine. I tried in my local setup which is windows 10 32 bit. A pop up came that vc++2017 install might have failed and continue with other install. I said yes, But it actually installed my installer along with vc++ 2017.

Thy download url you have mentioned is different from the one i need to use. My requirement is to have vc++ redistributables available under https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/ the version of these redistributables is 14.13.26020. How do i get the URL and registry key for this?

Hi Janakiram,

To give you info about how to edit by yourself,

URL-you can copy link by right-clicking on any download button that you want on Microsoft's web-page
Registry value-you can search string(VC++ 2017 redist) in your registry(Using regedit.exe based on 32/64-bit OS)in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and get the exact product code

So that you can update .prq entry as below:

""

I had attached updated .prq for your reference

Thanks,
Jenifer
0 Kudos

I totally agree to Christoph

"Your check is wrong. Do not test for the uninstall key. This can return unwanted results."

Also with the use of

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DevDiv\VC\Servicing\14.0\RuntimeMinimum

you run into problems.
Current situation 14.16.27029.1 is installed.

But above regkey holds 14.16.27024.1

I tried to install 14.16.27027.1 which is the newest available download and this fails 😞
Maybe this is the reason why Installshield never added a package for 2017.

BR Jörg

0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm not with you in this.
You say: 14.16.27029.1 is installed but 14.16.27027.1 is the newest available download???

From where does 14.16.27029.1 comes from when you can not download it (yet)??
0 Kudos

The newer versions can come from Microsoft products e.g. Visual Studio or Office.
Not each minor version of the VC++ is distributed as a new redistributable.

@joerg_n wrote:

The newer versions can come from Microsoft products e.g. Visual Studio or Office.
Not each minor version of the VC++ is distributed as a new redistributable.

You have a point here...

0 Kudos

Just to say what the current solution is. Here an example for x86

2019-07-24 14_28_09-Clipboard.png

2019-07-24 14_31_17.png

2019-07-24 14_28_38.png

Due to the fact that the current deployed Redistributable Version is lower than an installed one.
Select "Continue the Setup".

Same for 64bit

2019-07-24 14_34_17.png2019-07-24 14_34_05.png

Hope that help you out

Cheers,

Jörg

0 Kudos

one more remark about the your defined settings in the screenshots: if you have installed a version of Microsoft Visual C++ runtime 2015 and you have Microsoft Visual C++ runtime 2017 runtime as prerequisite, there will always be asked for a reboot. This because the VC 2015 runtime will be upgraded by the VCRuntime 2017. This means that the VCRuntime 2015 will be replaced by the VC Runtime 2017.

If you have, like I do,  aswell the VC 2017 x86 as the VC 2017 x64 runtime included in your setup, your installer will ask 2 times for a reboot(after the x86 VC 2017 upgrade and after the x64 VC 2017 upgrade) when you use the option "Reboot the machine and resume on reboot" .

This is maybe not the wanted behavior for your purpose. Take note of this.

Argghhh thanks. This was sometimes a problem and I had no idea what the reason for the reboot was. Thanks for the hint.
0 Kudos