cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scottd72
Level 7

Can a Normal Patch come after a QuickPatch?

Consider the scenario: RTM install is updated via QuickPatch to Update 1. Now I would like to create a regular, sequential patch via Patch Design that goes from Update1 (QuickPatch) to Update 2 (Patch Design). It doesn't seem possible unless maybe I do a full install rebuild of RTM that includes the updated files of Update1.

UPDATE: I've tried rebuilding RTM to contain the modified files from the QuickPatch, and built Update 2 (Patch Design) off that. It doesn't work. If the user installs RTM, updates to Update1, then attempts to apply the Update 2 they still get an error.

Is there a way to go from Quick Patch to Patch Design? In other words, it seems that once you create and use a QuickPatch you are committed to using QuickPatches throughout the rest of the product's life for updating. There doesn't seem to be a straightforward way to go from QuickPatch to Patch Design Patch. IE: In Patch Design, when you enter previous versions it is asking for an .msi file, there's no option to enter a QuickPatch file.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

scottd72 wrote:
Consider the scenario: RTM install is updated via QuickPatch to Update 1. Now I would like to create a regular, sequential patch via Patch Design that goes from Update1 (QuickPatch) to Update 2 (Patch Design). It doesn't seem possible unless maybe I do a full install rebuild of RTM that includes the updated files of Update1.

UPDATE: I've tried rebuilding RTM to contain the modified files from the QuickPatch, and built Update 2 (Patch Design) off that. It doesn't work. If the user installs RTM, updates to Update1, then attempts to apply the Update 2 they still get an error.

Is there a way to go from Quick Patch to Patch Design? In other words, it seems that once you create and use a QuickPatch you are committed to using QuickPatches throughout the rest of the product's life for updating. There doesn't seem to be a straightforward way to go from QuickPatch to Patch Design Patch. IE: In Patch Design, when you enter previous versions it is asking for an .msi file, there's no option to enter a QuickPatch file.

Hi,

If i understand correctly,you are trying to have Update-1 via quickpatch then you would like to have Update-2 via Patch-design.May i know why you want to go in this path?For that you can directly proceed via Patch-design path only know?From patch design update->update1 should always work.Please post the error you encounter.

Both Patch-design view and Quick-Patch hold differences so that you can choose accordingly:https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield22helplib/helplibrary/IHelpPatchStrategy.htm

Thanks,
Jenifer

0 Kudos