cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LanceRas
Level 7

CHM / CHW files and permission help

I've properly isolated out data, app data and read only application files into their proper paths to make UAC happy.

Normally I would distribute the help file inside the folder with the program EXE which is inside of Program Files. The problem is that the CHM file will create an index file (CHW), which anything inside Program Files is "suppose" to be read only.

The question to ask, I guess, is do I mess with permissions on the folder where the help file is (not generally a good thing to do)? Or do I install the help files in the Application Data folder, which has read/write permissions natively, but just is an "odd" place for the help file?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

My guess is that it should be ok locating the CHM in Program Files\

I did a quick test and CHMs located in protected locations do not appear to generate CHW files. I would have expected them to generate one and place it in the virtualized location:

C:\Users\User_name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\ MyApp

(see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927387 )

However that does not appear to be the case. Maybe there is another location this data is being cached at.
0 Kudos
LanceRas
Level 7

Mike,

did you open the help file then go to the index?

It does make a CHW file. But like you said, is it virtualized?

I remember hearing there was a problem with the MSDN help along the same lines and they had to force permissions on the file.
0 Kudos
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Yes, I did go to the index. I placed a CHM in C:\Program Files\Macrovision

When launched on Vista, no CHW is created at the same location...I could not find one when searched the system for it.

When I lauched the same chm in a location where read\write permissions exist, a CHW is created.

It must be virtualized somewhere, however it does not appear to be in the standard location for this.
0 Kudos