cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Patrick_Simons
Level 5

Build Setup.exe with compressed MSI

Hello,

I'm actually using InstallShield 2012 Spring Edition (Pro) and I'm planning to purchase InstallShield 2018. We're working with Basic MSI.
Due to InstallShield Prerequisites we must deliver a Setup.exe

Is it possible to compress the build, but to leave the MSI outside of the EXE-file?

Regards,
Patrick
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(13) Replies
Patrick_Simons
Level 5

Any Guru out there?

So the desired result under DISK1 should be:
-> setup.exe
-> mytest.msi

and setup.exe should NOT contain mytest.msi

Patrick
0 Kudos
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi Patrick Simons,

By default when you create new project in InstallShield(as of InstallShield-2015 to 2018) & build,setup.exe which comes as outcome is uncompressed there by you would be able to see your output.msi also in Disk1 folder.

Please refer Releases->Product Configuration->Release 1->Build view.

-Compression would be set to "Uncompressed"

-Under Setup.exe tab setup-launcher would be set to "yes"

Thanks,
Jenifer
0 Kudos
Patrick_Simons
Level 5

Hi Jenifer,

Thanks for your answer.

I already did that. But beside of Setup.exe and mytest.msi there exist also other files and subfolders which are not "compressed" into the msi file.
How can I produce a lightweight Setup.exe, but with a compressed msi aside?

Regards,
Patrick
0 Kudos
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi,

As of Today InstallShield supports either of one options below:

-Compressed with/without setup launcher -With setup launcher set to yes ,compressed setup.exe would be output

-With setup launcher set to no,compressed msi would be output

-Uncompressed with/without setup launcher

I don't think the combination of setup.exe+compressed msi is possible here.Let you know if i find any?

Thanks,
Jenifer
0 Kudos
Christoph
Level 8

Patrick Simons wrote:
Hello,

I'm actually using InstallShield 2012 Spring Edition (Pro) and I'm planning to purchase InstallShield 2018. We're working with Basic MSI.
Due to InstallShield Prerequisites we must deliver a Setup.exe

Is it possible to compress the build, but to leave the MSI outside of the EXE-file?

Regards,
Patrick

I get an msi, data1.cab(contains the to-be-installed files) en setup.exe(who contains the prerequisites).
Is this something what you're looking for?
0 Kudos
Patrick_Simons
Level 5

Hi Christoph,

I want a MSI file, not a cab.
So I'm searching for a lightweight setup.exe and a compressed msi-file containing all other files (as written above)

Background: with Windows 10 Update 1803, we had a lot of problems that when our ERP-program starts, a MSI-window pops up to find and repair the MSI installation, because some system files were affected by the windows update:

So Windows searches for the msi-file, but because we installed with setup.exe, the customer can't browse for the MSI...

Regards,
Patrick
0 Kudos
Christoph
Level 8

I my opinion, I don't think this is possible.

Or a single file setup or an msi, cab + setup.exe is the closest you get I suppose.
0 Kudos
Patrick_Simons
Level 5

Is there also someone from Flexera watching this Forum?

Patrick
0 Kudos
Christoph
Level 8

Watching yes, answering.... sometimes
0 Kudos
Patrick_Simons
Level 5

@any Guru from Flexera:

Any official statement concerning my question?
Maybe an enhancement idea for a future version?

Thanks,
Patrick
0 Kudos
MarkusLatz
Level 8

You can use a "Advanced UI Project".

There you can add/import your required prerequisites and your basic compressed msi package from another project.

regards

Markus
0 Kudos
TheUsual
Level 2

I noticed the same thing after upgrading from IS 2012 to IS 2015. With 2012, you used to be able to generate a setup.exe with the prerequisites embedded in it and and MSI with all Cab/product files streamed into it. We did this so that users could push out the MSI installer and prerequisites separately with group policy. I don't know why this capability was removed. Now our users will have to push out the cab files in addition to the MSI to do the MSI installation.

0 Kudos

I found something that works. You can set the media type in the release wizard to the Web type. Then set the web type to 'Downloader - Setup.exe downloads .msi package'. On downloader options, you will have to enter something in 'URL for your package' to get the next button enabled to finish the wizard. For InstallShield Prerequisites, you most likely want to choose to 'Extract prerequisites from Setup.exe, unless you have the URL set for all setup prerequisites you are using. Then you could choose to download from the web.

Then you will get a setup.exe with the prerequisites embedded in it and an MSI with the CAB/product files streamed into it that you can run without the Setup.exe, assuming the prerequisites are already installed.

0 Kudos