cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Greg_R
Level 4

Batch Build Questions

I see that you can run a batch build of all all or certain releases in the InstallShield IDE. My first question is to ask if you can do a batch build for multiple/all releases from the command-line? Or do I just need to specify the release command-line switch (-r) for each individual release or can I even do that?

Secondly, if a batch build is performed, do the cabinet files for each individual release get completely rebuilt even if the releases share identical features? What I mean by this really is, if there are identical features in two different releases that I'm trying to build, if I do a batch build, will the same feature get fully built all over again despite the fact that it is being shared by multiple releases?

Thank you very much for your help.

Greg R
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Greg_R
Level 4

Just for everyone's benefit, specifying multiple releases by doing multiple release command-line switches (-r) causes strange behavior. The tests that I made using it appear to create a single installer instead of two or however many I specify. It also appears to grab random features for the release because I noticed that a bunch of the components which were being used by both install releases were being excluded.

Anyway, for my automatic overnight build, I'm now just explicitly build all six of my different install releases separately. It's most assuredly, probably not sharing cabinet files between the releases to speed the process up so it takes a while. It would be nice if there was some sort of batch build from the command-line that would make it so releases that shared the same cabinet files would be built more quickly if they were getting built at the same time. Maybe there is something to do that and I just haven't found it.
0 Kudos