cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jpadilla
Level 5

Basic MSI upgrade issue.

I have a Basic MSI that is basically just a file copy. The input is a click once directory that is added dynamically when built. It looks something like this:
App.Application
publish.html
Application Files (Directory)
|->App_w_x_y_z (where w_x_y_z represents the version).

The MSI runs perfectly fine the first time. I have changed the Package Code, Product Version and recreated the installer (also republished the click once so it is now version w_x_y+1_z). When I run the the new installer it tells me it will upgrade the existing installation (good), goes through the motions, looks like it is working, and tells me it completes successfully.

When I go to the directory I installed to, I don't see any change in any of the files. I tried adding the following to MSI Command-Line Arguments 'REINSTALLMODE=vaums REINSTALL=ALL' but to no avail.

When I do an upgrade the previous version serves no purpose anymore. With that in mind is there a way to do an uninstall first (that is silent to the user), or is there something simple that I am missing? Or a better way to accomplish what I need?

/edit - It is worth noting that the files I am replacing have no File Version attached to them.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
jlynch11
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

You can mark each file as 'always overwrite' by right-clicking the file in the files and folders view and selcting properties, then checking the always overwrite checkbox.

You may also want to consider authoring a major upgrade, which removes the previous version before laying down the new install. To do this you would need to change the product code and add a major upgrade item in the upgrades view.
0 Kudos
jpadilla
Level 5

jlynch11 wrote:
You can mark each file as 'always overwrite' by right-clicking the file in the files and folders view and selcting properties, then checking the always overwrite checkbox.

You may also want to consider authoring a major upgrade, which removes the previous version before laying down the new install. To do this you would need to change the product code and add a major upgrade item in the upgrades view.

I think I am going to have to go with a Major upgrade, since the files are added with a dynamic link.

Time to learn how to do Major upgrades. Thanks Jlynch
0 Kudos