cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cmatta
Level 2

Basic MSI: Vista Validation

I have a problem with Windows Vista validation. I have all signed driver package. But when I build the InstallShield(MSI) project with Vista Vlidation enabled, IS always says the driver(*.sys) is not signed. I verified that the same package with Microsoft SIGNTOOL, it verifies that it is signed. Do you have any known issues with Windows Vista validation?
Is there any custom DLL sample for installing upper and lower filter drivers?

Chandra
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Regarding the validation half of your post, does the .sys file show up as signed and trusted if you view its file properties in Explorer? If so, this could be an improper verification on our part. However if it was signed with a test certificate, even a validly signed file will be reported as unsigned because it's untrusted.
0 Kudos
cmatta
Level 2

We have the signed *.cat file. This has all the information about package ,cataloged and signed. We don't have embedded signature for the *.sys files. But we have catalog file for each *.sys file. Do we need the embedded signature each and every file? Microsoft recommends to sign *.cat file.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Ah, that explains the behavior - our validator checks for an embedded signature. As for whether it's truly a problem, only Microsoft can say, as they control the Logo program. Last time I read the documents, my understanding was that *.sys files required embedded signatures, but I could be incorrect. If you disagree, or just don't want to be informed, it is possible to edit the ISVista.cub file (Located in Support\Validation; use ORCA or maybe the direct editor) to remove *.sys from the listing of file extensions it will check.
0 Kudos