cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paule2000
Level 3

How to make the installer send some user data?

Hi there,

first of all: InstallShield 2008, InstallScript MSI Project

During the installation, I would like the installer to collect some information about the host system as well as the user and company name. After that, I would like to present these information to the user and ask him/her to allow the installer to send them back to me.
Is there any support for such a thing build in InstallShield/InstallScript? The SdCustomerInformation dialog is alread part of my script and allows me to collect user/company name. How to send them back to me? Via email? Ho to create and send one? Or any other way of doing it?

Thanks for any ideas!

Regards,
Paul
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I don't have the widest depth of InstallScript knowledge, but the easiest approach I can think of would be to use LaunchApplication with the shell execute flag to launch a URL which passes the information in the URL, and loads some sort of thank you page. Next option would probably be to call a custom EXE which does whatever you need behind the scenes, or to load Internet Explorer via COM and do this sort of thing, quite possibly without even showing a window. All these approaches have potential pitfalls.
0 Kudos