Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daniel_Dority
Level 6

BUG: Repeated use of ctrl-z kills IS

As the title suggests.

What I was doing:
I was spacing a textbox over with the arrow keys roughly 15 times to see how much space was inbetween one of my custom dialogs. After I got the figure I hit ctrl-z not even 4 times and I got a memory reference error and IS exited.

I've been able to repeat the error many times.

Windows XP Professional SP2
2.33 Ghz Duo Core
3 Gigs of ram
IS 2009 Premier Edition - Evaluation
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
mberterm
Level 7

Testing Basic MSI projects in IS2008 & IS2009, is working with out error for 24+ uses in a single effort, over a couple of attempts.

My projects were fairly straightforward, a new interior dialog in a Basic MSI. I added a control, then moved it with the cursor keys and unmoved it.

Is the crash reproducable in other projects?

Which project type are you using?

If it is a memory issue, what other applications are open ... when was the machine last rebooted?
0 Kudos
Daniel_Dority
Level 6

I am using an InstallScript MSI Project.

I am able to reproduce it while moving a textbox, text and buttons.

It won't do it on another project.

And I last rebooted maybe last week.

I'll go ahead and do that.
0 Kudos
mberterm
Level 7

Thanks for the clarrification.

Retesting, IS 2009 Premier Edition Evaluation did not crash using InstallScript MSI projects.

I added a new blank dialog, several (4+) controls of different types (textbox, text, buttons, etc.), changed various properties on each and was able to move and unmove again for 24+ undo's.

The machine (VMWare image of XP Pro SP3 with 512 MB RAM & 1 processor) had come off of a fresh reboot, but this time I tried to load down the system by opening up several apps and keeping them busy (VS2005 & a C++ project, Firefox, Process Explorer, SQL Server Config Mgr, IE, CLR Debugger the IS Update Manager).

If the issue is specific to this project, how much other work has been done in it? What type of things?

Did the reboot help?
0 Kudos
Daniel_Dority
Level 6

The reboot did help actually. I haven't been able to reproduce it since.

I have been working on the InstallShield for a few days now meaning it was left open for 5 days +
0 Kudos