cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maarten1
Level 3

BSOD on Windows 10

Hi,

I just installed the trial version of InstallShield 2015 Express. When I build a project I get a BSOD with a registry filter driver exception referring to ISRegFlt64.sys. This happens when the build process gets to the point of extracting COM information. The same happens with InstallShield 2013 Limited Edition btw and the only workaround is to disable the ISRegFlt service in the registry (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\ISRegFlt). This results in a warning telling me that certain dll's need to self register. I don't have a need for COM so it's no show stopper, but nevertheless it was very annoying. InstallShield 2013 Limited Edition worked flawlessly on Windows 8.1 on the same machine.

thanks, Maarten
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(15) Replies
Roel_Knol
Level 2

If you uninstall the 2013 version, the problem is gone.
0 Kudos
davida
Level 2

I have exactly the same problem with Installshield Limited 2012 and VS2012

My project (which as it happens DOES use COM) built fine on this machine pre the Windows 10 upgrade. BSOD at exactly the same place extractinf COM data. I tried uninstalling Installshield 2013 and installing the old version, but same BSOD at the same point.

BTW uninstalling Installshield is obviously not an answer to creating an installer package with Installshield
0 Kudos
Roel_Knol
Level 2

As Maarten already noted, the problem is related to ISRegFlt64.sys
When you uninstall IS Express 2012, this file is gone. But then you don't have a possibility to use Installshield 🙂
But when you install IS Express 2015, it all runs fine.
0 Kudos
robertparke
Level 3

I too seem to be having the same problem. I's using Visual Studio 2013 with InstallShield 2014 Express (paid for and registered just last month!) and now I get the new, bright-blue Windows 10 BSOD when I try to build my project. The output window gets to the part where it's extracting COM data and then the BSOD pops up. The screen tells me to research the file ISRegFlt64.sys so I'm here researching it.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd hate to think that there isn't a patch for this forthcoming.

--BP
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

This issue is related to a change with kernel registry filtering on Windows 10. The issue is resolved with IS 2015 Express. If you need to use multiple versions of InstallShield on the same machine, copy ISRegFlt.sys (ISRegFlt64.sys on 64-bit machines) from \Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2015\System to the System folders of any other recent versions of Express on the machine.
0 Kudos
robertparke
Level 3

Follow up to my earlier post:

I uninstalled InstallShield 2014 Express from my Windows 10 computer using Add/Remove Programs and then reinstalled the application after downloading from Flexera's licensing website. Be sure that you go to Help/About in the InstallShield *application* prior to uninstalling it and click the button to return your license. If you uninstall without returning the license then you're setting yourself up for some unnecessary headaches when you go to re-register after the fresh installation.

Good luck everyone!

--BP
0 Kudos
robertparke
Level 3

... and the problem went away. Forgot to mention that part.

--BP
0 Kudos
raywhite
Level 3

Same problem here with both IS2013 and IS2015.

Does Flexera even monitor these threads?
0 Kudos
don1234
Level 2

Guys,

I had three BSODs in a row. WIndows 10 upgrade broke InstallShield 2013. Upgraded to InstallShield 2015. Fixed.
Fun and games upgrading my install project after but I got there with some hand editing of the isl file.

If you are getting the BSOD on Win 10 this is the fix.
0 Kudos
hjjung
Level 2

Roel Knol wrote:
As Maarten already noted, the problem is related to ISRegFlt64.sys
When you uninstall IS Express 2012, this file is gone. But then you don't have a possibility to use Installshield 🙂
But when you install IS Express 2015, it all runs fine.

My Windows 10 Installed only InstallShield 2014 but have a same problem. BSOD when build on InstallShield 2014.
It was running fine on Windows 8.1.
😞

help please.
0 Kudos
lliao2
Level 2

joshstechnij wrote:
This issue is related to a change with kernel registry filtering on Windows 10. The issue is resolved with IS 2015 Express. If you need to use multiple versions of InstallShield on the same machine, copy ISRegFlt.sys (ISRegFlt64.sys on 64-bit machines) from \Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2015\System to the System folders of any other recent versions of Express on the machine.

Hi,

We use Install shield 2014 standalone on windows 7 64 bit on virtual and physical machines. We have gotten several BSODs. But BSOD does not appear every try. This method doesn't help to solve this problem. Is there any solution to solve this problem.

Thanks
0 Kudos
OoO2015
Level 2

Hi Install Shield Experts,

We've been struggling with this for a while and I really hope we can find a solution here.

Current configuration is as follows:
1.We've got Install Shield 2013
2.We are creating packages for Windows 10
3.Packages created in #2 have versions are A,B,C, where versions C>B>A (increasing)
4.Package version A is installed on a machine with Windows 10 installed

The issue we noticed is when:
Scenario A:
1.User upgrades from package from version A to B
2.User roles back on Windows 10 by going to Settings -> Recovery -> Reset My PC -> "Keep all my files", which should roll back our package to whatever was initially installed - i.e A (i.e. revert B back to A)
3.During device reboot, it crashes into BSOD and gets stuck there.

:confused:
:(:mad:

Any idea whats going on here?

Thanks,
OoO2015
0 Kudos
MrTree
Level 6

joshstechnij wrote:

I had the same BSOD during builds with InstallShield 2015 Premier, a update to 2015 SP1 did not help to fix it. After I uninstalled the old InstallShield 2014 SP1 Premier which was also still on the system the problem is solved.
0 Kudos
overflow
Level 2

Is there any fix for IS 2012 Professional users on Windows 10? I have the same error and I don't want to pay any update on my license
0 Kudos
medical
Level 3

joshstechnij wrote:

I got the same issue with InstallShield 2014 Express on Windows 10. Because I could not find the Download of InstallShield 2015, I tried your solution using the ISRegFlt.sys from Installshield 2016 - but it did not work. Even with the ISRegFlt.sys from Installshield 2016 I get the same error when trying to build a setup with InstallShield 2014. What can I do now?

Thanks & Regards
Axel
0 Kudos