cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IanBrooke
Level 5

BSOD On Win 10 with old IS

I've looked at other posts with this title but none seem to fit.

I'm trying to run an old IS (version 2012) on a new computer with Windows 10, I know for certain that this CAN work as my previous computer did exactly that but I don't know how as previous replies here seem to be saying that the earliest version should be 2015, but I don't have (and currently can't obtain) that version, I have to stick with 2012.

It gets to the point of extracting details from 2 COM dll's and crashes windows with a BSOD "Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area".

Is there a workaround or fix for this?

How come this was working on my previous Win10 computer with the same versions of IS and the same COM dll's?

Many thanks

Ian

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Installshield 2012 was released prior to the release of Windows 10 (2015) and so was not designed to support this operating system as it did not exist at the time of release.

The issue of the BSOD is due to a change in kernel registry filtering on windows 10, this issue was fixed in Installshield 2015

You can test altering the COM extraction method that Installshield uses to see if this helps.

To do this you will need to change the value of the UseAPIRegistryHooks registry value located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\InstallShield\RegSpy key (on 32-bit machines) or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\InstallShield\RegSpy key(on 64-bit machines)

Value Description

0 COM information captured by hooking Windows Registry API, old method.

1 COM information captured through Registry redirection API

2 COM information captured through Kernel mode registry filtering, latest method
introduced in InstallShield 2012.

0 Kudos

Hello Shunt,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have tried to implement it but I'm a little stuck.  I have a 64-bit machine and so looked very carefully below WOW6432Node as you state, there is an Installshield key but below it is no key with a name of Regspy, nor indeed anything resembling it.

Am I supposed to just create one, and if so with what type?

For clarity there are only 3 further groups below Installshield - "18.0", "Driver" and "ISWI", none of those holds a key called Regspy.  There are no keys directly below Installshield.

Regards

Ian

0 Kudos