cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seamusmc
Level 3

Associating a File Type with Multiple Executables

Hello,

We install two executables that can work with C01 and DIB files and we want to associate both with those file types.

When I attempt to use the Advanced Settings of a component to associate these file types with a second executable InstallShield complains about duplicate entries in the File Types table and puts the project in an awkward state.

How can I associate a File Type with multiple executables?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
BrHartmann
Level 7

As this didn't get answered before, and I'm now trying to do the same in my basic-MSI and Installscript-MSI projects in IS 2012 (Premier), just wanted to check if there are any workaround suggestions, or new functionality since 2012 IS that might help with this?
0 Kudos
BrHartmann
Level 7

To clarify, I don't really need to associate file types with 2 exe's, but I have a common project with separate product configs, so I need to set up the file type associations for one of two mutually exclusive exe's for a given installer build.

Does anyone have advice on dynamically altering the target exe for a file type association (again, for both IS-MSI and basic-MSI projects), either at build or install time?
0 Kudos
BrHartmann
Level 7

Ok, I guess it didn't turn out to be rocket science just manually creating the file type association reg keys for the alternate product. I needed to include the .ico files, and then set (Default) of the DefaultIcon key to something like [INSTALLDIR]MyIcon.ico,0 (instead of the crazy C:\Windows\Installer\... path which usually gets created).
0 Kudos
rajasekar
Level 2

guys ..... 'm new to this install shield...i'm not able to associate a file extension with my application.. i tried .. but i can't ...Please give the detailed procedure...
0 Kudos