cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdavi27
Level 2

Antivirus Exclusions for InstallShield 2013

We're having a problem with some of our development systems where new builds in InstallShield 2013 will fail without explanation. Disabling the antivirus (Trend Micro OfficeScan) fixes the problem, however, we can't leave the antivirus disabled on these systems due to our company's security policy. It's too much hassle for the developers to have to disable the AV every time they need to perform an operation in InstallShield, and remember to re-enable it when they're done.

My question is: Are there any folders, files, or file extensions associated with InstallShield's build process that I can configure in the OfficeScan exclusions so that the two can coexist? I've searched all over the knowledgebase and forums and can't find this information if it exists. There's got to be a way to get them playing nice together. That's what exclusions are for.

We did open a ticket with support and their response was to exclude the entire Temp directory, which is just completely insane. I might as well install viruses on the system myself, at that point.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
jlynch11
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Are the failing builds specific to specific projects/files included in projects, or do all builds fail on the machines with the antivirus installed?

This kb article may be helpful for you: http://flexerasoftware.force.com/ka3G0000000PPm6IAG

The article is specific to Sophos Antivirus but it may apply if you are using any InstallScript in your project.
0 Kudos
mdavi27
Level 2

jlynch11 wrote:
Are the failing builds specific to specific projects/files included in projects, or do all builds fail on the machines with the antivirus installed?

This kb article may be helpful for you: http://flexerasoftware.force.com/ka3G0000000PPm6IAG

The article is specific to Sophos Antivirus but it may apply if you are using any InstallScript in your project.

Thanks for the reply! I believe the issue is with any and all builds failing on the machine that has OfficeScan installed. The difficult part of the problem is that OfficeScan isn't finding any threats in the file(s), so it's not logged which file(s) it is scanning. I believe the issue is that OfficeScan is trying to perform a real-time scan on the files when InstallShield is performing its build, and this causes InstallShield to choke.

I'm going to try excluding the files in the KB you linked to, but I don't know if those files are relevant to InstallShield 2013 - there's nothing in the article stating what version of the software this info is applicable to. We'll see what happens. From an IT standpoint, supporting InstallShield is turning into a nightmare. The documentation on this stuff is super poor from an administrative standpoint. 😞
0 Kudos
Dr_Seuss
Level 3

mdavi27 wrote:
Thanks for the reply! I believe the issue is with any and all builds failing on the machine that has OfficeScan installed. The difficult part of the problem is that OfficeScan isn't finding any threats in the file(s), so it's not logged which file(s) it is scanning. I believe the issue is that OfficeScan is trying to perform a real-time scan on the files when InstallShield is performing its build, and this causes InstallShield to choke.

I'm going to try excluding the files in the KB you linked to, but I don't know if those files are relevant to InstallShield 2013 - there's nothing in the article stating what version of the software this info is applicable to. We'll see what happens. From an IT standpoint, supporting InstallShield is turning into a nightmare. The documentation on this stuff is super poor from an administrative standpoint. 😞

I have a customer with a similar problem to you, but is unable to disable his anti-virus due to company policy; he's also using the OfficeScan.

I was wondering if the KB resolved your problem or not.

Cheers

DS
0 Kudos