cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
castleton
Level 2

Another version of this product is already installed

I generated a InstallShield Express 2010 setup.exe file and install the product.

Then I changed the version number from 6.01.0001 to 6.01.0002, and kept the product code, upgrade code the same.

When I run the new setup.exe to do the installation, I get the message "Another version of this product is already installed".

How could this happen? I have already changed the version number from 6.01.0001 to 6.01.0002. Is there a way to get ride of this message?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
Not applicable

I had the same problem.

According to the help page titled "Updating the Package Code, the Product Version, and the Product Code", heres what you are supposed to do:

Small Update: Change the Package Code
I have the package code set to automatically change each build - did not work.

Minor Upgrade: Change the Product Version
I tried this - did not work.

Major Upgrade: Change the Product Code
I did this and it worked, but I don't think it should have been necessary.
0 Kudos
Dwight_Corley
Level 2

Same here, created a new Express project, deployed intial installation, modified install project, changed version 2.5.0 to 2.6.0 (minor version change) attempt to update installation failed with dialog: Another version of this product already installed.
0 Kudos
SherylSikora
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

In the Express edition, in order to create a minor upgrade you will need to use a QuickPatch package.

From the InstallShield Help:
InstallShield Express Edition enables you to create major upgrades as full-installation packages that remove an earlier version of the product if it is present on the target machine before installing the new version. InstallShield Express Edition also enables you to create minor upgrades packaged as QuickPatch packages. If you need to create small updates or standard patches, consider upgrading to InstallShield Premier Edition or InstallShield Professional Edition.
(If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)
0 Kudos
Not applicable

SherylSikora wrote:
In the Express edition, in order to create a minor upgrade you will need to use a QuickPatch package.

Can use a QuickPatch, certainly. Need to use a QuickPatch, no.

InstallShield Express Edition enables you to create major upgrades as full-installation packages that remove an earlier version of the product if it is present on the target machine before installing the new version. InstallShield Express Edition also enables you to create minor upgrades packaged as QuickPatch packages. If you need to create small updates or standard patches, consider upgrading to InstallShield Premier Edition or InstallShield Professional Edition.

That's what we are trying to do, but we cannot figure out how to do it?
0 Kudos
SherylSikora
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

If you want to do a major upgrade, you should add information into the Upgrade Paths view to link your installs together, in addition to changing your Product Code and Product Version, etc.

If you want to do a minor upgrade, you need to use a Quick Patch.

Here is the online help on how to perform a major upgrade:
Creating Full-Installation Upgrades

There are several help topics in our HelpNet online documentation and within the help installed with InstallShield that will explain and assist you with upgrades.
(If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)
0 Kudos
Not applicable

I think I understand now. In order to make a full package installer, it has to be a major upgrade. That means I need a new product code, new upgrade code, and add the old product info as an upgrade path.

Otherwise it would have to be done as a quickpatch.

Thanks for the assistance.
John
0 Kudos
MattQVI
Level 8

Under Media, there is an Upgrades section. When I expand Upgrade Windows Installer Setup there is a ISPreventDowngrade. Clicking on it, I make sure that the Product Version has the second one selected and that the version I am currently building is on the left-hand (minimum?) side. Then if I have a 2.2.6 version installed and I run the setup for 2.2.5 I get a nice message that a new version of the product is already installed. HTH.
0 Kudos
DoctorPeter
Level 2

MattQVI wrote:
Under Media, there is an Upgrades section. When I expand Upgrade Windows Installer Setup there is a ISPreventDowngrade. Clicking on it, I make sure that the Product Version has the second one selected and that the version I am currently building is on the left-hand (minimum?) side. Then if I have a 2.2.6 version installed and I run the setup for 2.2.5 I get a nice message that a new version of the product is already installed. HTH.

This worked for me.....using ISx 2010

Set version in Project Assistant 'Application Information' tab as normal - actual numbers seem irrelevent.

To create an upgrade install:
Installation Designer
General Information
Change [Upgrade Code] (click icon at end of line to generate a new GUID)
Rebuild
0 Kudos