cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gjohnson1
Level 2

Another version of this product is already installed. ...

I created my VS 2013 application and added the InstallShield project to the solution. I created an installer, which works fine for the initial install. If I rebuild the InstallShield project and run setup.exe a 2nd time, I get "Another version of this product is already installed" error message. Rebuilding the project changes the package code, and because the product version, product code, and upgrade code remain the same, the new setup.exe (with new package code) should execute without this error. What am I missing? Does the InstallShield LE with VS 2013 have a limitation? I have tried setting upgrade paths and removed prevent downgrades, which didn't help.

If the application is already installed, I want the installer to overwrite the existing files and not add a 2nd entry into the add/remove programs.
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
NameTooShort
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hi,

You will also need to change the version in the first 3 fields and the product code for the upgrade to work.
The msdn article contains more details on the process:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa369786(VS.85).aspx
0 Kudos
gjohnson1
Level 2

I changed the Product Version from 0.0.6 to 0.0.7, and I still get "Another version of this product is installed...". I tried having an upgrade path and without, and the same message occurs. When I had an upgrade path, Min Version = 0.0.6 & Max Version = 0.0.7 with the original Upgrade Code and Product Code.

From my thinking, not changing the Product Version should definitely not get a "Another version of this product is installed."

My goal: If the application is already installed, I want the installer to overwrite the existing files and not add a 2nd entry into the add/remove programs.

I appreciate any help.
0 Kudos
jcoone
Level 6

You need to make sure you change the product code(GUID in the general information tab) in addition to the product version. Also, you will need to use an upgrade path for the existing version to the new version.

In addition to those, you will need to make sure that any versioned files (DLLs, etc) have had their versions increased as well, or you could potentially get the "newer" version installed but the MSIExec engine didn't overwrite the existing files because the file versions matched.
0 Kudos