cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raja9911
Level 3

Alternatives to FeatureMoveData

Hey

Im trying to convert a installscript type to basic msi since i need a single executable msi file

I have heard that FeatureMoveData does not work under basic msi

What alternative do i have. What command supports basic msi and have almost the same functionality as FeatureMoveData

Thanks in advance
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

For Basic MSI, the data-transfer operations are handled by so-called standard actions: The InstallFiles action is where files are transferred, for example. If you use this mechanism, you shouldn't need to script anything.
0 Kudos
raja9911
Level 3

RobertDickau wrote:
For Basic MSI, the data-transfer operations are handled by so-called standard actions: The InstallFiles action is where files are transferred, for example. If you use this mechanism, you shouldn't need to script anything.

The problem is that i already have a script. I have made a custum action where it runs the script as one of the first things in the behavior section

The software needs to be installed in a special way, and thats why the scipt is nessacary. I tried just to run the script, but featuremovedata is not working

Is it possible to use installscript to copy the files at all?

Or maybe i should not use basic msi al all? I just need a single executable msi file?
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

I think FeatureMoveData is only for files you've placed in InstallScript components; if you can't use the normal MSI file-transfer process (or even the MoveFile table), perhaps look into XCopyFile?
0 Kudos
raja9911
Level 3

RobertDickau wrote:
I think FeatureMoveData is only for files you've placed in InstallScript components; if you can't use the normal MSI file-transfer process (or even the MoveFile table), perhaps look into XCopyFile?

Thanks for your reply

I can see that the parameters are completely different compared to eg. featuremovedata

I have created all the features and added all the files in the components. Thats what i need to install

Is it possible to eg. call the normal file-transfer process and then continue with the my custom installscript?

Thanks
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Yes, Basic MSI can use InstallScript custom actions; if you want to call your InstallScript code after data transfer, your action should be scheduled in deferred mode after InstallFiles.
0 Kudos