cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ISNoob
Level 6

Allow READ/WRITE Permission on Directory to All Users

Hi

How can I allow Read/Write permissions to all users? I have directories in the [CommonAppDataFolder] and the directories in there need to have read/write access to everyone.

Does anyone know how to set this in a Basic MSI project?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
rags_msi
Level 3

Hi,

Click on component of that particuler folder and right click n go to propertis
check the permission tab in that you can give Everyone n enter check the all boxes.

Regards
Rags:p
0 Kudos
TheTraveler
Level 8

There is a command line executable that you can run to give any user you specify in the command line access to folders of your choosing. The command is cacls.
0 Kudos
ISNoob
Level 6

Thanks rags.msi, that is very useful info and I shall use it when I need to give permissions to file. But I need to give read/write permissions to Directories. How can that be done?

TheTraveler- I dont understand how I can set this command in installshiled. Can you please give me a step to step example?
0 Kudos
Dan_Galender
Level 10

In the Files and Folders view you can right-click on the folder, select Properties, then click on Permissions to set permissions on that folder. Alternatively, you can use the Destination Permissions property of any component whose destination is that same folder--they both set the same entry in the LockPermissions table of the MSI database.

In a Basic MSI project either of these would be preferable to using the CACLS utility.
0 Kudos
TheTraveler
Level 8

I posted a piece of sample code with explanation in a different thread. Here is a link.
0 Kudos
JimmiLee
Level 6

I too have a Basic MSI project, but when I set the permissions on a folder under Files and Folders, it doesn't work - this I find a little weird, as it worked fine for previous projects of mine on IS12! Operating systems I'm installing to, are both 32 and 64bit versions of Server2003 and 2008, but same issue . . .
I'm looking into that CAcsl or whatever thing now . . .
0 Kudos