cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Admin install push on Vista failing

I am trying to run a command line push of one of my installs on a Vista machine and it keeps failing.

I checked the log and this is what I am getting:
MSI (s) (C0:48) [22:33:15:168]: Product: SMART Board Drivers -- You do not have sufficient privileges to complete this installation for all users of the machine. Log on as an administrator and then retry this installation.

You do not have sufficient privileges to complete this installation for all users of the machine. Log on as an administrator and then retry this installation.

The machine is logged in as Administrator and when the install is ran from the setup executable it works correctly, but from the msi command line it does not.

Is there anything that has to be added to the command line to allow for the install to work?

Is my install missing something that I did not know about that will not allow msi push on Vista machines from the command line???

Thanks for any info.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Not applicable

You have to be elevated to deploy an installation silently. You're probably running on the non-elevated side of your token, so you don't have privileges to perform an installation.

Silent installs do not prompt for privileges, so you will probably want to try deploying as, for example, SYSTEM.
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Okay so how do I do that. I am basically just performing some admin install testing and am not actually deploying it out accross the network.

So if say using a GPO it will push as SYSTEM it will work, but if just running as myself on vista then I'll be unable to test it?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
Not applicable

You could test it if you launched from an elevated command prompt.
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Okay, sorry for the basic question but how do get the evevated command prompt on Vista. Do you simply right click on the command prompt program in Vista Accessories and select 'Run as administrator'?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

There's probably more than one way to get the elevated command prompt. Here's what I like to do:
[LIST=1]
  • Click the Start button in the lower-left corner. Windows Vista displays various menus above the Start button, plus a Start Search box.
  • In the Start Search box, type "cmd" (without the quotes). Windows searches for possible matches and displays them above the search box. One of the possible matches is cmd.exe.
  • Right-click cmd.exe and click Run as administrator.
  • 0 Kudos