cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wokawidget
Level 2

Adding files to the installer in VS adds the File Path Variable to the wrong project

Hi,

I have the InstallShield 2011 Pemier and I have created an installer solution in Visual Studio 2010.
This solution has three InstallScript MSI Projects...one for each of our products.
I created the 3 projects in the solutioon 1st before going back and configuring them.
When adding the files to the installer the Path Variable was added to the last installer project in the solution...regardless of what installer project had the files added to.
When building this meant the source files couldn't be found.

The fix was to copy the required Path Variables, located in the Media/PathVariables window, from the last project in the solution to the correct installer projects Path Variables. The unrequired Path Variables in the last project in the solution were then deleted.

All builds ok now.

Is this a known "bug" and is there a fix for it?

cheers,

Woka
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
norman1
Level 2

Wokawidget wrote:
Hi,

I have the InstallShield 2011 Pemier and I have created an installer solution in Visual Studio 2010.
This solution has three InstallScript MSI Projects...one for each of our products.
I created the 3 projects in the solutioon 1st before going back and configuring them.
When adding the files to the installer the Path Variable was added to the last installer project in the solution...regardless of what installer project had the files added to.
When building this meant the source files couldn't be found.

The fix was to copy the required Path Variables, located in the Media/PathVariables window, from the last project in the solution to the correct installer projects Path Variables. The unrequired Path Variables in the last project in the solution were then deleted.

All builds ok now.

Is this a known "bug" and is there a fix for it?

cheers,

Woka

This is easily reproduced in Spring 2012 as is a real pain. In my situation adding files from the IS projects own folder ended up creating a path variable that wasnt in the project and showing the files with 0 bytes etc and failing to build. On finiding this article i saw that the path variables were created in a different IS project i nthe same solution.

What is the status of a fix for this?

Cheers,
Norm.
0 Kudos