Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sidafpt
Level 3

About enabling Language Dialog using InstallShield Standalone 2018

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I am using InstallShield Standalone 2018 to build the install file from our project, which has been including 2 languages: English and Japanese.

The build process was successfully, i was able to run the executable file to install program into my computer.

But, the language dialog did not appeared. The setup process run without letting user choose what language to show while installing.

It automatically display English. I have to run the *.exe file via command line, add "/l1041" parameter to make it display in Japanese.

Opening the project (*.ism file) by the InstallShield Pro Trial version (which has the UI), i can see that the "show language dialog" option was set to "yes".

I've search around for 2 weeks, but found no way to make the Language Dialog appeared. I could not find any suitable parameter to do this when building the executable file by InstallShield Standalone.

Can anyone help me with this issue? What can i do with Installshield Standalone to enable the Language Dialog? Is there any parameter for Standalone Build which supports this case?

Thanks a lot
Thanh Pham
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution

Hi @sidafpt ,

-a <product configuration>

Basic MSI, InstallScript MSI, Merge Module

This parameter specifies the product configuration for the release. If it does not exist, it is created. Although this parameter is not required, you should include it if you are including the parameter for the release name.

image.png

In the above image, product configuration is marked by under line. You can specify that in your command-line as below :

-a "Product Configuration 1" 

View solution in original post

(13) Replies
banna_k
Revenera
Revenera

Hi @sidafpt ,

Here you can check what release configuration is getting built during the Standalone build.  

Can you try by passing the product configuration and release to build as command line parameters to IscmdBld, you can get more info on how to pass the product and release configuration as command line parameters from the below link: 

https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield24helplib/helplibrary/ISCmdBldParam.htm

Hope you are able to see the language dialog if you are building the same project from Installshield IDE.

It is not suggested to use trial version(evaluation version) for your production build("Opening the project (*.ism file) by the InstallShield Pro Trial version (which has the UI)", because it has limited and restricted features, only for evaluation purpose. 

Hi @banna_k ,

Thanks for your response.

I've read carefully all parameter from the helpnet link before beginning with Standalone build, as well as recheck with it several times while i was searching for some suitable solution in the last 2 weeks, but can't see any parameter that can be used to enable the language dialog.

The project which i am using is the same that i used to check with the InstallShield IDE.

Note that i just use the IDE to verify if the "Show language dialog" option is set to Yes or not, i am not using it to build the exe file.

I am now thinking that the Standalone build does not support showing the language dialog, but not sure. Perhaps i have to search more to find out the answer.

Can you give any other suggestion???

Thanks a lot
Thanh Pham
0 Kudos

Hi @sidafpt ,

I hope you have verified you are building the same product configuration and release from the standalone build where you have configured to "show language dialog" option set to "yes".

If every thing is verified, can you open the out put folder in windows explorer where the build output get generated.  Can you check what all are files are present in output folder, in order to get the language dialog there should be a setup.exe and a setup.ini, and there will be an entry in setup.ini for  language dialog "EnableLangDlg=Y".

Hi @banna_k ,

I have only 1 project, then of cause, i just have 1 configuration.

Open the project by InstallShield Pro, i saw that the "show language dialog" was set to "yes".

But using the InstallShield Standalone to build that project, the language dialog did not appeared.

Look back the folder which is created after the build process finished, there is not any setup.ini file.

It has only 1 .ini file: IsConfig.ini, inside the folder named "Interm", and inside this file, it did not include any entry corresponding to "EnableLangDlg".

May be i miss some parameter when using InstallShield Standalone?

Thanks a lot
Thanh Pham
0 Kudos

Hi @sidafpt ,

Can you tell me what InstallShield project you are using ?

As well can you share the log file got generated during your build,  it will be under the "..\..\Product Configuration 1\Release 1\LogFiles" or the corresponding product configuration and release configuration configured in the project.

0 Kudos

Hi @banna_k ,

I'm using Merge Module Project.

Please file the log file in the attachment.

Hope that you can find out what's wrong with it.

Thanks a lot.

Thanh Pham

Thanks a lot
Thanh Pham
0 Kudos

Hi @sidafpt ,

According to the log file, you are building Msi project. And the merge module project does not have any language dialog.

Can you confirm the project type from the start page in the Installshield IDE.

And can you tell me what all are files available in the below folder

D:\Athena\Release\Release_20190726_Dongle_Test\PROJECT_ASSISTANT\Release_20190726_Dongle_Test\DiskImages\DISK1  

Hope you have enabled the for the "Language Dialog" for the release "Release_20190726_Dongle_Test". As well can you check to build the same project in the Installshield IDE and see the language dialog is coming or not.

Dear @banna_k ,

Sorry for late reply, as I was busy in the last days.

By the way, sorry for the wrong project type, i was not having much experience with installshield, so that i provide a wrong type. I had rechecked with the ism file, and found that my project is  msi, please refer to the attachment named "type.png".

Inside the DISK1 folder, i had 2 components: setup.exe file and ISSetupPrerequisites.

When checking the project (using InstallShield IDE), i saw that the "Language Dialog" was set to yes. And when our customers build the same project by InstallShield Premier, the language dialog is coming.

But unfortunately, we just have the license for InstallShield StandAlone, so that i just can use InstallShield Standalone to build the project. And i currently do not know how to enable the Language Dialog with InstallShield StandAlone. Can you give me any guide?

Sorry for the inconvenience, and hope to receive your help.

Thanks a lot
Thanh Pham
0 Kudos

Hi @sidafpt,

If you have configured the language dialog in the Installshield msi project through IDE, then by default it will be present while building from Standalone also. No need to do anything additionally to enable in standalone build.  

So, can you confirm what release configuration getting built during the standalone build. Can you verify again by passing the IsCmdBld.exe parameters to specify the product configuration and release name. For more information :

https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield24helplib/helplibrary/ISCmdBldParam.htm

Still the issue is not resolved,  Can you create a sample project where you could reproduce the issue and share with us.

0 Kudos

Hi @banna_k ,

I did not use the parameter "-a" during the standalone build.

This is the full command i used:

IsCmdBld.exe -p "D:\ThanhPQ2\git\TpEvoInstaller\TpEVO2.ism" -r "Release_20190806_1600_Dongle" -c "COMP" -b "D:\Athena\Release\Release_20190806_1600_Dongle" -o "C:\work\PRJ\TpEVO2\TpEvoInstaller\TpEVO2\VS6.0"

So, what value should i use if I add the "-a" parameter into the command?

Thanks a lot
Thanh Pham
0 Kudos

Hi @sidafpt ,

-a <product configuration>

Basic MSI, InstallScript MSI, Merge Module

This parameter specifies the product configuration for the release. If it does not exist, it is created. Although this parameter is not required, you should include it if you are including the parameter for the release name.

image.png

In the above image, product configuration is marked by under line. You can specify that in your command-line as below :

-a "Product Configuration 1" 

Thanks for your quickly response.

Highly appreciated.

I will give it a try by tomorrow morning (it's night time in my location now) and report the result.

Hope that i will have some good news.

Thanks a lot, @banna_k .

Thanks a lot
Thanh Pham
0 Kudos

@banna_k  Special thanks to your help.

The Language Dialog displayed.

The issue was caused by not using the configuration setting, so that the Standalone Build used the default configuration.

After adding the parameter "-a", and modify the value of "-r" parameter, use the corresponding value with the setting shown in IDE, the problem was fixed.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Thanks a lot
Thanh Pham