cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dhofferber
Level 5

64 Bit OS

I have a 32 bit MSI package that works great on 32 bit machines. Now I want to install my app on 64 bit machines. Should the same package work? Does the installer realize the situation and simply install in WOW or do I have to create a new install package for 64 bit OS? If so, can I simply copy the old install and change the template to x64 from Intel? What else do I have to do? Seems like this should be simple.

Thanks for any advice.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Alpesh
Flexera Alumni

Hi,

The same installer will work on the 64-bit machine as a 32-bit installer. You need not make any changes to it. The files will install to the 32-bit locations on a 64-bit machine.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
dhofferber
Level 5

Thanks. That's what I thought but I'm getting an error on the 64 bit machine. The old "Can't open package....". Now that I know it should work I can look into why it's not.
0 Kudos
dhofferber
Level 5

I still can't get the installation to work on the 64 bit machine. The same package installs fine on XP SP3 x86, Vista SP2 x86 and 7 x86. On 7 x64 I get the message: "The installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exits and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package." Very generic message. Not a lot of help.

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Is it possible that your UAC setting is set for tighter security on this machine?
Right click on the setup file and 'Run as administrator'
0 Kudos