cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
experimenter
Level 4

jre is not fully deleted

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with uninstaller in Windows. When it is complete, I can see that jre folder is not completely empty, i.e. some files were deleted, but some are still left behind: *.dll and *.exe files.
The same result whether unstaller is run as part of a new installation process and when I run it from Control Panel->Add/Remove programs.
I understand that those files might still be needed when unistaller itself is running as it uses jre underneath, but I thought there should be a workaround. Is that an expected behaviour anyway?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

The only reason I could see for this would be that the application you're uninstalling is still running and thus the JRE is locked by Windows (therefore not completely removed).
0 Kudos
experimenter
Level 4

It seems that the issue might be that it takes some time for the uninstaller to quit/close and delete the jre files etc it was using to run. During that time you are being returned to the installer (if you launch the uninstaller from the installer itself) and the installer would check if the folders still exist and find out that they indeed exist, if the user is quick enough, so to speak.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Actually, as the uninstaller locks the JRE as soon as it launches, the JRE cannot be launched from within the uninstaller itself... normally, on Windows there should be a remove.exe process that runs right after the uninstaller has finished in order to remove the trailing jre... but on a slow machine this could appear to be still locked, so the remove.exe will fail...
0 Kudos
anitha
Level 5

Have the same problem the uninstaller does not remove the jre folder completely in HP-UX
Should i delete the jre by a script at the end of uninstallation
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

You can try that if you want. I don't have HP-UX experience, but I imagine that being an UNIX it doesn't lock a file (i.e. you can delete a running file, it's no problem, there is no Windows lock behavior, so this might be a completely different issue).
0 Kudos